Sunday, June 8, 2014

Warm homes

As I traveled with work pals this week, somehow the topic of housewarming gifts came up. You know how conversations go...one thing leads to another to another. Soon I was regaling the group with one of my many stories. I'm a walking font you know.

When Paul and I purchased our first home we were at that age. Lots of our friends were purchasing first homes too. Vicki and Fred had bought one in Ames - they were always the "test pilots" for everything - marriage, homes, babies.

We waited until we moved to Creston to buy a house. We were in our late 20's and were ready to take on the joys and heartaches of home ownership. By week 2 we figured out we needed a new furnace. Hello heartache!

We were tapped out by the home purchase and therefore had to take out a very special loan from the manufacturer of the furnace unit, through the local installer Holt Plumbing and Heating. All for a mere 20% interest. What a deal! I didn't have a job yet so it was stressful. We sure loved that house though - not a typical starter home, it had belonged to Dr. and Mrs. Brom, longtime Creston residents who apparently loved green. The whole house was that color head to toe, inside and out. We quickly moved to make it more blue - ah, the 90's.

Our college friends eventually came to our home to help christen it. We had a hot tub party on the patio - it was quite fun, though it was Memorial Day and people gathered around the gas grill for warmth. Brrr. When Behrs and Wilts left to travel back to their homes, Paul and I noticed our yard had some new additions. Pink flamingos and plastic yard bees - so funny and what a surprise!

In that house I found a treasure. I wish I had a photo of it...because a description doesn't do it justice. I discovered the Rose Bowl (nothing to do with football) on the back shelf in the walk-in closet in our bedroom. It was hideous. A heavy glass orb filled with murky water and a blackened (likely once beautiful) rose. It sat on a gold metal base. I'm not sure why the Broms kept it, until they didn't - conveniently leaving it behind when they moved.

What to do with the object d'(not) art? I couldn't bring myself to toss it. Hmmm now I know the dilemma Broms faced. Then our friends Moose (Steve) and Kay Wilt purchased a home just outside of Chicago. They needed assistance roofing. Light bulb moment. Wouldn't that rose be lovely in the Wilt home?  Along with pink flamingos and a bee. We had fun sneaking it into the abode and found a perfect spot right in the entryway for the orb. It took them several hours to spot the beautiful gift. I still smile thinking of it.

Later, when we moved to our second home in Creston...I do believe those darn Wilts gifted the damn thing - in even worse shape by now - back. I tossed it. #stinky. Good friends do warm a home!


Love the DSM specialty stuff
Friday I spent the afternoon with my sis-in-law Carol in my favorite place (not) quilt stores! I'm sure they make her heart go pitty pat. Just like the Columbia Store does for me. Or a book store. But it was all for me - as she has agreed to make a quilt for Paul and me for our quilt rack. It was hard to figure out what fabrics to put together - I was flummoxed! Luckily at the Valley Junction store I found a kit I liked and she was happy with it - so it was a go. Can't wait! There are such cute stores in Valley Junction - need to take my sissies (Cindy and Betsy are arriving next Thursday) there.

So cute...don't know where one would put this and it would be impossible to dust
 

Saturday we met Carol and daughter Barb at the Farmer's Market before the rain started. They snagged rolls for Barb's daughter Mandy.




No comments: