Monday, June 2, 2014

Wedding Crasher

Pablo and I have exactly no wedding invites this summer. We watched the movie "Wedding Crashers" last night. Slim pickins' on TV during the summer. It's been a while since I've seen this one.

If you haven't ever seen it - the movie features two 30ish guys (played by Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn) that "crash" weddings, large lavish ones. They pretend to be invited guests and have a ball eating, drinking and getting chicks. At the end of the wedding season they hit "the wedding" - the daughter of a big wig. It's a hoot when Vaughn (in character as Jeremy) is showing off his balloon animal making talents at the reception. A bratty kid demands that he craft a bicycle for him out of the balloons. I laughed out loud when the kid walked away with a full sized balloon bike. Ride that sucka.

The movie is making me pine to be at a good old fashioned summer Iowa wedding! Tent reception, buffet and beer. I've been to a few in my day. I was even invited.

Paul and I had a summer wedding. that's probably why I'm a bit partial to them. We didn't have a dance or a tent - we did have an second reception (after the formal one at the Country Club) at our house at 202 Crombie in Atlantic. My parents' friends helped by preparing and serving a fab beef brisket meal. Beer was served. Some of the wedding party got a little drunk - sitting in the front yard and garage with our friends. Grass stains were found on the white tuxedos the next day...
Krissy and her daddy - before the partay

It's been about four years since Krissy McFee married Caleb Carroll in Creston. That was a damn good summer wedding! The reception was at Crestmoor Country Club and there was a chilled trailer for beer - the kegs kept coming. There was a dance floor set up in the tent and people were having fun. A good time was had by all. A couple summer ago the Peterson boys (Deb and Larry's sons) got married here in the DSM area. Those were fun times.
the dance - Brett Peterson's wedding. I had all my moves that night...

I'm not saying non-summer weddings aren't fun. They can be a warm respite during chillier times of the year. Wedding Crashers just made me feel like celebrating love on a hot summer night. Any takers out there?



No comments: