Sunday, June 22, 2014

Just a Small Town Girl

pre-party - McFee deck
Living in a Lonely World...she took a Subaru down to Creston for a McKinley Park celebration yesterday. Little did I know some 40 years ago, as I swam competitively for the Atlantic swim team at the old McKinley pool, that I'd be hanging out in the area as an um mature woman. Listening to knock off bands. They were pretty good bands too!

We traveled to Creston on a swell day (first day 'o summer) to hang with our pals Bobbie and Jeff McFee (bonus - daughter Kimmy was home from Ames) - and anybody else attending at the annual McKinley Park fundraiser event featuring Heart, Eagles and Journey cover bands.
Here are a few observations.


  • It's nice to go where everybody knows your name. Big city anonymity has its benefits - but familiar faces are nice too.
  • People watching was..."interesting" living in West Des Moines, one forgets the mix of people (hippies, nerds, cowboys, prepsters, drunks, meth heads, fine upstanding sorts, farmers, business owners, factory workers, medical workers - and more!) in the Creston area. Kim commented on it too. Yes - they're around Des Moines too - I just am not exposed to them as frequently anymore. Events like this really bring them out. Aren't we glad we're not all alike...that there are so many "different" tastes...
This guy had few teeth, but had an expensive "teacup" pig he felt compelled to bring to the event...
  • I truly enjoyed talking to people like: Todd and Beth Nielson, Linda and Mick Landers, Steve and Barb Crittenden. Love hearing about their lives and fams. Nielsons twins start at ISU this fall! Son Alex will be a senior - he's a great athlete and is still considering his college options.
Bobbie was probably pointing out the weirdo in the yellow and black shorts outfit...
Mick used to work with me at the hazardous materials facility - fun to catch up with him, Barb C., Bobbie, Kim
  • I didn't get a picture - but one of Jud's classmates, Brea Steinkamp, recently returned from two years in the Peace Corps in a country I can't pronounce. Now she will teach at their school - St. Malachy, 8th grade. So nice to catch up with her, and another classmate Tyrell Miller. Plus their parents - who we hung with double time when our children attended school in Creston. They both also had a child in Amy's class!
  • I chatted with Julie Plotz Weisshaar - a young woman who was one of the first Paul and I worked with (Paul was talking to her hubbie Allan) as a marriage sponsors in our church in Creston. She's doing energy reduction work now and has even started a non-profit to work with schools. Nice.
  • I spoke with Amanda Miller, now married to Michael Buck (both Amy's class). Michael is practicing dentistry with his daddy Dave. Love seeing pics (taken by the talented Katie McKim, Jud's classmate) of their boy Carter - now 1 year old. Jennifer Hudson Hoyt was another young mom I caught up with too. She asked about Amo. Stormy was at a James Taylor Concert in Lincoln - missed her. Haylee Walters (Amy's classmate) sashayed by us several times. Crushin'
  • I put Denise Miller in charge of my beer whilst I visited the dreaded port-a-potty. I swear she was about to take a sip of it when I returned...she was eying it wistfully.
  • Denise's husband Dan and I tried to do a selfie - but it came out too dark. In it we almost look like the cartoon character we love. Droopy. He has a voice that can imitate some of the character so well!
  • Next I ran into Jim and Nancy Anthony - they have a new grandson since I saw them last. Kyle is a parent! No doubt a wonderful one. Love those peeps.
  • When I finally got back to our seats...I was glad they were not in the shi$*y section....
  • Must have been incensed that they weren't in the reserved section...
  • Sharon and Al Higgins were there! So great catching up with those two lovebirds. Daughter Amanda and fam now live in Overland Park...need to get their address to see how far they are from our niece Katie and fam.
  • I gave and received many hugs. Loved them!
  • I did a selfie with a balloon that had some sort of light inside.
  • We danced toward the end of the party - when fake Journey was playing, but I'm sad to report we didn't remember any of our dance lesson moves. Back to class this fall, me thinks.
  • We stayed until the end. Jeff had a hard time using those extra drink tickets he'd purchased, but he gave it his best shot.
  • The police and Highway patrol had a big presence at the gate when we left. Good thing our DD was up to the task (and it wasn't Jeff).
  • Breakfast - egg casserole was delish, Summit Lake side at McFee's. Great night with great friends.

1 comment:

maryf said...

oh my...thanks for catching me up on the ol' hometown!! Great to hear about all of it; Barb C. looks great.