Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Sisters' weekend

My sissies are coming - well, two of 'em anyway. Susi had other plans involving husband Jim's army buddies. So she couldn't make it. Those other two girls I grew up with are coming. Cindo came to Iowa to visit us at our new home in WDM (that's West Des Moines Richard Lamm) last year. Now Bitsy Betsy is coming!

We have a busy agenda - I sent them a spreadsheet. Putting that together helped me organize meals and feel like I'm somewhat prepared for the visit. It's not like I will fall a part if we don't follow it exactly...but it's  a starting place. We purchased groceries tonight.
  • Cindy arrives first - Pablo is picking her up at the DSM airport as I'll be in Iowa City doing an audit of the solid waste agency's Environmental Management System. He'll be waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs at the International (what...are there 6 gates?) Airport. He said he'd be holding a sign that says "Lafave sister" (her name is Lefebvre). Of course then we'd need to hold a sign for Betso that says Other Fave sister - and her name is Kohan.
  • Paul needs to go back to work, so Cindo is going to knock around downtown DSM and the East Village. I'm printing her a map of the joint. http://eastvillagedesmoines.com/site/assets/map.pdf
  • I'll be back around 4, and then we're getting some drinks. I think Locust Tap is in order - because there is no place like that. I don't want to go overboard...because
  • Betso arrives about 11 p.m. That's like 2 p.m. her time. (really it's 9 p.m. - cuz she's from Washington). She'll be travel tired though - after flying all that way.
  • Friday we're traveling to the mother ship. Land of our birth, the Big A, A-T-L-A-N-T-I-C. Atlantic. We will stop by the cemetery - our peeps are there. No...not them really. But we like to stop by there. Last year Cindy sprinkled some of her husband Bolder's ashes there. He loved my parents, and he cried when Patrick passed away.
  • We're having lunch with our friend Kay Harris. She was a special person in our Dad's life.
  • On the way back we're swinging by Walnut - to check out the antiques.
  • Friday night is steak fry night at our place. Gateway Market filet Mignon's. Jud and Kara are arriving later from St. Louis - their friends are getting married in DSM this weekend.
  • Saturday - you know what day that is. FM babay. Farmer's Market. We need some rhubarb - Pablo plans to make a pie. Damn we forgot the secret ingredient at the store. Pudding.
  • We're hoping to see our cousin Bob after we "market".
  • That night we're going out - to Jesse's Embers or Centro? Not sure
  • Sunday is Father's Day. I hope I remembered to prepare and start the egg casserole Saturday night. Jud and Kara will be there. I'm glad the bestest daddy in the world will see 50% of his living children.
  • That night - Queen will Rock Us at the Civic Center. We have tickets to the live event. I think we'll head downtown for appetizers first.
  • Monday I'd planned to head to Ames to tour Reiman Gardens, lunching at Hickory Park. Rain may derail those plans though...
  • We're having burgers that night with smashed red potatoes, a Facebook recipe that is so good!
last year - sprinkling Boldie at the Atlantic Cemetery (some of him got on my lips...)
So those are the plans - pretty simple. Mostly I'm looking forward to hanging with the girls!

1 comment:

Barton Wilson said...

It seems like you're gonna have a busy weekend, but it looks like you're going to have lots of fun as well. You're going to audit for the solid waste agency's EMS? Wow. It's unfortunate that you wouldn't be able to pick your sister up because of that. I'm sure Pablo is okay with taking your place, though. I can tell how happy you are that your sister is coming for a visit. Take care! :)

Barton Wilson @ International Standards Authority, Inc.