Thursday, June 26, 2014

Direction challenged

You know the one about walking and chewing gum at the same time? I can do that. What I can't do is drive and follow directions while participating in a conversation. This has become readily apparent in the past year or so.

I have spent some time apologizing to my passengers - because I took them for a ride. To the wrong place! Last night, all Cory, the consultant who works with DNR on the Environmental Management System project, wanted to do was eat and get to the hotel so he could sleep. He had arrived in Des Moines at 1 a.m. due to a flight snafu and had been tasked with putting on a workshop for business and industries all day. He was tuckered out.

So I offered to drive. What I failed to do was offer the disclaimer - about my disability. I had a great deal to tell Cory (and everyone else who rides with me). When my mouth works it directly affects my ability to read road signs and detect direction. I do drive very safely though.

Yesterday I missed the turn off of I-235 to take him to the airport and then later, the evil town of Mount Pleasant unpleasantly allowed me to shoot off Highway 34 onto another 4 lane road going south. Cory didn't notice it either - he was "Facetiming" with his wife and baby boy on his I-Phone. I was busy thinking about what I wanted to tell him next.

About the time we crossed the Missouri river, What? I saw the fireworks store (people were actually shooting some of the wares off). I knew I'd taken a right turn Clyde and we were in Missouri. Argh!

Fortunately poor exhausted Cory was a good sport. By that time I was pretty tired and hungry too. It was closing in on 8 p.m. and I'd started working at 6:15 a.m. #longday. We swung through MickeyD's when we arrived at our Burlington destination and I gulped that down and hit the hay after calling Pablo.

Today we were on site in Fort Madison. Cory was much refreshed and for some reason he insisted on driving...
Tomorrow - off to Carroll. I Google mapped it - that area is a bit more familiar to me and better yet, Becky is going along. She's like have Garmin in the car.

No comments: