Sunday, January 19, 2014

The 2 Leslies strikes again

Last Thursday, when I was traveling for work, I received a forwarded email from the State of Iowa on my cell phone. Julie Sterk's email said I needed to pay my outstanding parking ticket before February 7th or I'd be thrown in the slammer.

No not really! I did get the email, but it said the fee would go up drastically from the $10 I supposedly owed to some outrageous amount. What? I park in the ramp by the Wallace Building each work day and hadn't seen a ticket on my windshield - that I knew of. I asked for a copy of said ticket.

When I was able to download and look at the official document, it all became clear. The officer who wrote the ticket had made the same mistake as many others before him. He'd fallen under the effect of the 2 LGs. I've reported here before that Leslie Goldsmith (married to Paul) of Chariton and I are often mistaken for each other. It's comical, it's frustrating, it's crazy.

The name on the ticket was mine - but the car wasn't mine, nor the license or address. Don't they check that stuff before they whip out their ticket books? I have parking passes in both our vehicles. A simple cross check of those to the vehicle in question would have precluded this ticket.

On Friday, when I got back to the office, I emailed Julie back, explaining the situation. That Leslie Goldsmith IS a visitor. It wasn't me, I swear!

I forwarded the email Leslie, to let her know we were once again victims of the "same person" syndrome. You see we've become friends through all this. Our last conversation was when she texted me to remind me of a doctor's appointment I'd set. They'd called her to remind her...plus they'd melded our files together. That was a fun one to fix.

Leslie was impressed that I have that much pull at my job. Haha. Her daughter is now working for the state, and she must have been visiting her. (They have a son and a daughter just like we do - but their son is the older of the two). Julie emailed later to say the Department of Public Safety would void the ticket. Phew!

We need to get together with our alter-egos again sometime. Fun and interesting people! Isn't it nice of the Capital Security folks to remind me....
2 Leslies, 2 Pauls

No comments: