Thursday, January 2, 2014

Jody joins her Tom Tom

Robyn with Amy and me this summer

My memories of Jody date back to their first house on Oak Street, nestled up against a hill. I spent a lot of time in that home playing with my friend Robyn and of course her momma Jody was there. I got word today that Jody passed away yesterday January 1, at the age of 83. Obituary

Robyn is my oldest (or should I say mostest longest) friends. I'm not sure how our parents got to know each other - back when Jody was married to Robyn's dad Bob Bredensteiner, who worked at the Atlantic News Telegraph (or the ANT as we called it). Dad's buddy Fritz Simpson was the publisher, so perhaps that was connection. In small towns we all know each other, I guess.

My Mom and Jody were not very much alike, but hung in the same circle. They connected enough to make sure Robyn and I played together. The Bredensteiners had a bar in their basement, which was perfect for pretending we were in the wild, wild west! Robyn was Honey West to my Maverick when we played pretend. Sometimes Jody would come singing down the stairs with a snack for us while we were playing. I still remember listening to the record story of "Hansel and Gretel" at their house. That was scary as hell! "Stick out your finger so I can see if you're fat enough to eat." Speaking of scary - the sound of Jody's voice yelling "Robyn Lee!" is embedded into my memory. It was never good when she rolled out the middle name...

Around the time we were in 6th grade, Bob and Jody's marriage broke up. She found the love of her life - Tom Henningsen - her Tom Tom. It wasn't an easy time for the kids involved - the Henningsens and Robyn and her sis Karla. Back then divorce wasn't common like it is today. But through the years, the new families gradually emerged. Today, all the kids are as close as siblings.

I believe Tom and Jody enjoyed over 30 years of marriage. They had a great life together - enjoying winters in the Bahamas, trips, golf, building homes together and more. Tom, an Atlantic native like Dad was one of my father's longtime friends. They loved to fish together and Tom had his pilot's license. He probably flew much longer than he should have. My fave story was when they flew somewhere without a flight plan...was it Canada? Officials were freaking out. Then they saw it was old guys and just laughed. Jody and Tom were perfect for each other.

Jody was dramatic and had great pipes (voice) and legs. It seems like she was always dressed up too - but that's probably just my memory bank. I think Jody even appeared in Atlantic musicals and seem to recall her sitting on a piano singing. She loved her dogs - she had miniature schnauzers. One was named "ToJo" for Tom and Jody. Hmm how about our next dog to be named LePa! (Kinda like leper) haha. Jody was a great cook and entertainer, much like her daughter Robyn, and she even ran a little antique store in Atlantic for a while. Her homes were awesome - she had great (and expensive) taste!

For the past few years, since Tom's death, Jody has lived at Heritage House, the retirement home in Atlantic. Her health has not been good. Still Robyn has been upbeat when talking about the care she has received and the conversations she's had when visiting her mom, which involved a flight from Rob's home in Orlando - most recently in November.

Yesterday I was texting Happy New Years to my high school buddies, and my concerns about my dog and her surgery scheduled for today. Rob didn't say a thing about her mom and her health. She said she didn't wish to text about it - understandable.

Jody's passing is a blessing. Her quality of life here on earth was dwindling and now she joins her beloved Tom - who passed a few years ago. Eagle's wings Jody!

I will see Robyn and the rest of the family at the visitation Monday afternoon. I am looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Robyn Bredensteiner-Uehling said...

My Dear Friend,

This is such a wonderful tribute to my cherished Momma and to our long & treasured friendship!

You win the Pulitzer Prize for touching hearts...

Love ya Girl!
Robbie Dobb xo

Joan(Weresh)Broek said...

Enjoyed your writing Leslie! Wish I could have gone to Jodi's funeral. Would have loved seeing you and everyone there! I must say I remember the Hansel and Gretel album as well! I can't tell you how many times I've told my kids and other's how awesome it was to sit in Robyn's black and white, square tiled, basement floor and listen to a scary story. So much better than watching a movie if you ask me! I also think fondly of the magnetic doll house she had set up on the ping pong table. you could move the cars with a magnet on a stick! Have a good day! Thanks for the memories!