Saturday, January 11, 2014

Movie Night - August in Osage County

I talked Pablo into going to the newest Meryl Streep movie last night. He's not a huge Julia Roberts fan so that wasn't a draw for him. He wants to see American Hustle - so I guess I'll need to go to that now that we saw my pick this weekend. There seem to be a lot of good movies out right now.

The movie was good - but not great. I read today that the screenplay was written from a successful play - and that was what it seemed like - a play. The acting, especially by Streep, was so good that it was almost too painful to watch. She plays a mean mother of three grown daughters. She is suffering from mouth cancer and is addicted to pills - any kind. Painkillers and downers seem to be her favorites. She's married to a washed-up alcoholic poet.

Only one of the sisters lives in Oklahoma near the parents. But the other two (including Pretty Woman, Julia) arrive when tragedy occurs. The interaction between the family members is so realistic. And ugly, and sad. Meryl chain smoked through the whole movie. F-bombs were dropped constantly. While some of the conversations were funny - in a sad way, the movie doesn't contain much humor.

If you want to see a "pick me up" movie - this isn't it. If you'd like to see Meryl act her ass off - go see this movie. There are some other good acting performances in this movie as well. I thought Julia was good - but I don't believe she has a great deal of range as an actress.

So far we have recently seen 3 movies. Nebraska, Saving Mr. Banks and this one. I would rank them in that order. Paul liked Mr. Banks the best - the one with Tom Hanks. It was about Walt Disney and the story behind the purchase of the rights from author P.L. Travers to make the movie Mary Poppins.

I did enjoy that movie. Emma Thompson was great as was Tom. I loved the back story of Emma's character - P.L.'s childhood. When I got home from the movie I had to look up more on the story. And watching that movie made me recall attending the Mary Poppins movie as a child. It came out in 1964 and we got dressed up and saw this in a big city theater I believe. I probably wore white bobbie socks with my dress - cute!



No comments: