Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014 Preview

The new year is ticking away. It's already Day 4.

Odie's January 2nd surgery is in the rearview mirror, thank goodness. She had a tumor near her right armpit (do dogs have armpits?). I first noticed it the Sunday after Thanksgiving when she was sitting on my lap - lumpy. The vet wanted to remove it right away but we delayed until after our Christmas trip.

I dropped Odie off at Ashworth Road Vet Clinic just after 8 a.m. that day. Dr. Jessica Merk called me late that morning to say she was in recovery and trading yips with her cellmate. Dr. Merk thought the tumor was smaller than when she first felt it 3 weeks ago - good! She was able to remove it all and didn't see any signs of other tumors. Paws crossed that the biopsy turns out good. Today she's feeling very good - the doc had told me to keep her in a "onesie". Though it looked cute, I think it just rubbed the stitches.

Paul and I don't have much planned in the next couple cold Ioway months besides watching some good basketball. We have season tickets to ISU Men's basketball - 30 minutes north of here. The team is playing well so far. The winter of 2013/14 has really been winter like. Damn Iowa. Brutal cold is projected for the next few days. Hunker down time.

Jud plans to come back for a game - around his January 30th birthday. He'll be 25 ya'll. It's just not possible - because I'm only 40! haha

In my spare time I'll plug away on genealogy stuff and go to the YMCA. I love the pool. I signed up for a WordPress class - 2 nights at the end of February. I may switch my blog over to that software. I could do my own website too.

Paul and Judson are buying Big 12 tournament tickets. They're very expensive so I didn't get one - probably a mistake. I just can't part with that much money. It's in Kansas City - Jud's stompin' grounds in mid March. Not long after that we'll be getting jacked up for our annual Marco Island, FL trip. This year will include a special trip to Key West for Cindy's 60th birthday. ROAD TRIP! Should be fun. I'm thinking pub crawl...but at our ages, we'd probably make 2 pubs...I hope the gators don't get us.

In May we will make our annual Memorial Day trek to Colorado. Cindo says she'd like to come down to the big city (Denver). I'd also like to go to Susi's house in Grand Junction sometime too -we've not seen the home they moved to last year. We'll get to see all the usuals including our baby girl.

About our girl. She quit her job Friday. After working at a design firm for a few months, she decided that type of work is what she enjoys doing - but not at that firm. The owner wanted her to sign an all encompassing non-compete contract. Her attorney friend advised her against it. So did her parents. That document would have blocked her from freelance and working in the industry for 2 years. After talking it over we encouraged her to give her dream of starting her own design/other stuff business a chance. A couple of my high school classmates started their own biz - and it worked out pretty well. Of course they worked their asses off, made some right moves and probably had some luck along the way. Fingers crossed (and sweat equity) she does too.

So Amy is starting a whole new endeavor - her own graphic design (and other stuff like writing etc.) firm. It's so exciting! She plans to specialize in things like marketing materials, branding and labels - the types of things she's been doing for the past 3 years. But she won't limit herself as she'll need all the business she can get. She loves doing wedding and other party invites and my favorite part is she knows how to do them in a "low waste" manner, utilizing only one sheet of paper. They're cheaper to mail that way too. She's able to insert the map and other information if the couple wants that too.

So if you know anyone looking for a logo, t-shirt design, brochure, baby announcements, billboard, or food label - Amy Goldsmith Design (or some new cool name) is your company. She is going to spend some time getting her company set up and putting marketing stuff together etc. Right away she'll be working on lining up a part time job to help support herself during this start up time. Go kiddo - pursue your dreams!
One of our few times kayaking 2013 - Red Rock, near Pella

Back to us. Paul and I would like to get more kayaking in this coming summer. Last summer's strange weather precluded much paddling. Perhaps my pal Deb and I can take a trip in - and really get onto a river this year. Last summer the raging river was too fast to paddle on the Root near Lanesboro. I'd like to bike more too - there are so many great trails around here - besides the immediate DSM area, just north there are many to explore. My bike Albie and I need to hit the road.

We're heading west to Cannon Beach, OR to see my sisters July 5th. I'm not sure if the kids will make it. The Kohans (Betso's fam) go there every year, but we've been trying to get there every other year. I hope to see niece Leslie and grand neph James who will be one year old by then. We love that area and seeing our fam - no matter who shows up. My cousin Leslie and husband Bob hail from Portland, and perhaps more cousins will join us?! Chowder, beach walks, Tilamook, beer - the place has it all!

We're kicking around a train trip - Osceola to Chicago. And hope to be invited to Lake of the Ozarks. Football season will come around again. I hope for a better season. We are working to upgrade our new tailgating system - post McKim RV. Will I get together with my high school homies? We didn't discuss a location. I'd love to have them visit DSM.

Our routines of lives don't look to change a whole lot though. My vacation time will be used by my trips already planned. People probably wonder - don't we get tired of doing the same things over and over. I guess the answer is no. I'm a creature of habit. I like to relax on vaca. When I retire I'll be ready to explore.

With each passing year I find that I take more pleasure in the little things. Hanging with old friends - they know my stuff. Meeting new ones and hearing their stories - sharing mine. A warm puppy snoring by my side in my chair. Finding a clue and adding information about a relative to my genealogy data. Getting to know our children as adults - how did they do that? Grow up from the little people they were to become these interesting people they are now?

Volunteer opportunities. I would like to find more ways to give back (I know - sounds hokie, doesn't it?). It's not as easy as it sounds though. Many times just finding the thing you can do that fits your schedule and actually helps someone/thing is the hardest part. There is much that needs to be done. I challenge you to do the same. Every little thing helps. I'd also like to remember to "pay it forward" - and do little things to make peoples' weeks better. Pay for the coffee of the next person in line, buy lunch for the couple in the next booth.

Bring it on 2014. With the love and support of my family and friends, and the grace of the higher power I'm ready.

No comments: