Sunday, January 5, 2014

It's Easy As

ABC - it's Easy as 1,2,3. Beyoncé released an album recently without any fanfare - all the songs all at once. She didn't piece it out one song at a time like artists usually do nowadays. She said she wanted to do it the old fashioned way - recalling the excitement of when artists she loved as a kid released new albums. They were probably CDs as young as she is.

Not for me! I grew up back in the day. My first recollection of a music purchase was a day when Laurie Reinertson and I were going to walk downtown to do our usual Saturday shopping. I must have been 9 years old We'd frequent Bonneson's (it was across the street from where it is now) to purchase candy. Pixie Stix, purple bubble gum, giant Sweet Tarts, wax pop bottles. They had all the good candy. Even my favorite - fresh malted milk balls in the candy case. It's surprising I didn't turn diabetic right there...

We'd also hit Woolworth's. I loved looking at the fish and drooled over the hamsters there - so cute! Why wouldn't my mother let me get one? (as a kid I couldn't understand it...as an adult, I totally get why one would not wish to have a rodent-like creature living under one's roof). We'd check out the toys and gadgets at those stores and Ben Franklin too.

On this particular occasion, my oldest sis, Susi, asked me to walk one more block down the street to purchase a "45" for her at Meyer Music. It was 98.6, by the singer Keith. It would cost something like $1 and she would give me an extra $.X for my trouble (I don't remember the amount). Like any bratty little sis, I said no. Laurie was standing right there during the offer. And she was up to make some $. So she agreed to get the record. Joke was on me - I still had to be in on the purchase but didn't get the money. Hmmm.

After stopping at Ben Franklin, we walked the next block north to Meyer Music. Art Meyer owned it - a tony gig since he was also the High School band teacher. He got to sell and rent instruments to students that he then coached in band. "You don't want that cut-rate tuba do you Johnny? You might become first chair if you get this better model." hehe. $$. None of the Bullocks were in band (oops, Bets just reminded me was a flute player. My memory isn't always quite so sharp) so I don't really know how it worked - I'm sure he was more than fair. He probably just wanted students to be in band because he loved it.

Along with instruments and sheet music, Meyer Music featured singles and albums - back before Atlantic had WalMart or any predecessors. I remember scouring the wall for the record I wanted. The clerk helped Laurie and me find the single for Susi. I don't know what was on the "flip" side of the single. That was the song the artist would put on the other side of the popular song - when you purchased a "single" you really got 2 songs. As you can tell, I'm really still mad at myself for not taking Susi up on her offer...

A few years later music started to become important to me. My Dad and older sisters definitely affected my musical taste. Dad liked to listen to Herb Alpert and the Ray Coniff Singers. He had one of the first stereo systems in Atlantic. Mom freaked out when my pal Robyn and I were messing with the electric toothbrush and overfilled the sink - which dripped on the stereo. Oops.

My sisters listened to the Beatles, Rare Earth, Young Rascals, Cream - and many others. In junior high I started to develop my own music identity - I got my very first album!
And I got a great birthday present - a portable record player. It didn't look quite like this one. We got it at Best Western. Everyone knows that was the place to go for electronics! I kept it under my bed and would listen to the Michael Jackson Album every night. Good thing my roomie, Betso didn't mind.
My was brown and had a snap on lid
I shared a bedroom with Betso (pay no attention to the Iowa pennant behind me...)
 
The great thing about albums was the artwork inserted containing lyrics. With every album I purchased, I spent hours pouring over the lyrics of each - memorizing them. I learned the names of band members and tried to decided which one was my favorite. Elton John was another artist I counted down the days awaiting new records from. Some albums even came with posters and other inserts for fans. This couldn't ever be done once cassette tapes and CDs came into being.

When Beyoncé mentioned that she remembered worshipping her Michael Jackson CDs and wanted to provide that experience when she put out her new album - I applaud her! This generation should experience the joy of getting to know their music more intimately than just hearing it. Then someday they may blog (or what ever they call it then) about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that bedroom picture is a blast from the past. I still have that cross stitched/quilted bedspread that is the two twins sewn together with a border.

lgold said...

When did she have them stitched together? When you got a big bed? Remember those prints? I can't believe she hung them that high...