Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Odie is going to be alright


The vet called me at work Monday as I was heating up my leftovers for lunch (we cooked scallops Sunday night - yummy!). She gave me the good news - Odie's growth, removed from her chest last Thursday, isn't cancer! Yippy! The tumor was some long scientific name - cell growth from a trauma. And now it's been removed and she's feeling really good. Especially since I took the damn shirts off of her.
Pasta with scallops

Dr. Merk had told me to protect and support the stitches with a "onesie" baby outfit. So I rushed to Target and got her 3, Cyclone outfits of course. Plus some undershirts in case those didn't fit. I know - overprotective mamma. She hated them! And whined the whole time she had one on. It may have been because she was in pain - but as soon as I took them off - she was better. (She did look adorable - but she's a nudist at heart...). The stitches are set to come out Friday. Our little $700 medical excursion has had a good ending. Relief.

Thanks to all for those puppy prayers. As I was putting my hopes and prayers out there that she would be okay, I began to wonder...do we only get so many requests we may ask of the Big Guy? (or Higher Power - whatever you might call that being you pray to). Did I just use one of my "markers" up on a dog? Ah well - she's worth it!

I would have posted this earlier, but my Internet Explorer and blog software were not playing nicely. I ended up having to uninstall IE11. Google didn't like it.

Monday afternoon Paul and I took off early to drive to Atlantic to attend the visitation for Jody Henningsen. Despite the sad occasion it's always nice to see my wonderful friend Robyn. Her sis Karla was there and the Henningsen siblings too. My homegirls and I (Paula put herself in charge) went in on an arrangement with an angel and Roger Underwood sent one from the Class of 1976.

There was laughter and a few tears. I enjoyed hearing some of the Jody stories some of the other attendees shared - like the woman from Brinks flowers shop. She told about when Jody and Tom first moved into their home north of town - it was a cool place and had a huge great room that featured a fireplace in the middle. Jody stopped at Brinks and said "I want to decorate in red. And I want YOU and You to come help me. Be there tomorrow and bring That and That and That." When they got to the house the next day, Jody put them to work. She also made them lunch and slipped them bottles of booze and cash as they left. I bet lunch was really good - she was a fab cook!

Rob told me Tom Henningsen's brother Denny also just passed away - so the fam is headed to Clear Lake tomorrow for that funeral. At least the weather is warming up a bit for that drive and event. Robyn says that even though her mom is gone, she'll still visit Atlantic every year. It will be different though. I'm glad she's so close to the Henningsens. Mike still throws a big party for the 4th of July every year at his hangar at the airport.

Last night we enjoyed a great basketball game - #9 ISU beat #7 Baylor in Ames. Our team just keeps finding ways to win. They're fun to watch!

Today I had a work meeting at the Kum and Go (I know...awful name) Corporate office - in the Hawkeye room, of all places. The Krause family members are big Hawk fans and I appreciate their support of their team. I thought about how my parents would have gotten a kick out of seeing the memorabilia in the room. I liked the photo on the wall featuring all the assistant coaches who went on to be head coaches. Shelly picked up lunch from Palmers Deli for all of us - I got a turkey sannie with a slice of granny smith - delish! Some unknown person bought our whole group. Pay it forward...I'm looking for my opportunity!


After work, I went to my YMCA for orientation on the weight equipment. Yep - I finally settled into the Y long enough to be comfortable enough to do that. (I'm a slow adapter when it comes to things that involve other people). Eric was very nice - and a young woman shadowed us too. He showed me how to use each piece of the equipment. Most was similar to the Creston equipment - but there were a few different pieces.

I asked about a workout routine - and Eric asked if I wanted to get set up in the ActivTrax program. Sure! I didn't realize that meant I had to do a workout. I'll be sore as hell tomorrow. I did 35 crunches in 1 minutes ya'll. AND didn't wet my pants. That was an accomplishment! The one I really struggled with was a shoulder press - not surprising with my frozen shoulder issues. Hey - that's why I'm doing this.

After my workout I ran to HyVee to pick up supper and some Allegra - isn't winter supposed to be when my nose isn't plugged up? I ran into Meg Gammell Jackson in the college paraphernalia aisle. She and Mark and 3 kids live in Grimes right across from sister Kate (due to have baby #2 on the 20th) and her husband. She said her folks were in the deli. Fun to see some familiar faces at the store again!
Crestonians - Eldon, Marg, their son-in-law and grandkids
I talked them into to posing for a blog pic.

It's been a busy week - and it's "Guess what day it is?"

Tomorrow Pablo and I are giving blood. So it should be a quiet night. I hope your week is going well!


No comments: