Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Finally a Winner

We got up early Sunday to head back north to Iowa. We were on a mission - to attend the ISU basketball game at 4 p.m. We arrived at home about 1:15 p.m. Odie was happy to see us. Our new pretend dog sitter Jordan did a fine job as she was alive and everything! I say pretend because Jordan refused to accept payment for her services, ruling out a repeat performance. What a nice kid!

We took off about an hour later to head to Hilton Coliseum where Dickie V. (ESPN's Dick Vitale) would be appearing for the very first time to call the a game here. Michigan, ranked number 7 was coming to town. I could feel the excitement as soon as I set foot in the building! We ran into Crestonian Bill Kunert on our way to our seats in section 217. Then we made our way to the cheap seats - but still a pretty good view.
Dick V. made nice with the students - bald guy by the poster
 As an added bonus, the 'ol coach - one of my favorite guys Johnny Orr was in the house. He has history with both these program - as the winningest coach with each program. Johnny is now 86 years old - but he's still got it. The band played "Here's Johnny" the theme from the Tonight Show, just like the did back in the day. His former player - now Coach, Fred Hoiberg got a little teary-eyed they say when both men appeared on the floor together. And then he said we wasn't sure Johnny was ever going to leave. It was a touching moment.
The great Johnny Orr
The game was a back and forth affair with lots of drama. When it was over, the good guys came out on top! Just what the doctor ordered for the win-starved Cyclone fans. The students rushed the floor and soon the joyful sounds of Neil Diamond singing Sweet Caroline rang out over the sound system. Love was in the air. Clone love. We have ourselves a basketball team to watch this winter!
Students rush the court - we did not
Paul and I hustled out the door toward our next appointment. High School friends Robyn and Julia were awaiting at the airport Fairfield Inn, after spending a few days in Iowa with friends and family. Love seeing my gals. Rob made me a nice drink, and then we went out to eat at Johnny's Steakhouse (no relation to Johnny Orr) next door. I was pooped ladies and gents. I could barely keep my itty bitty eyes open. Somehow a lovely birthday cheesecake appeared before me before we said goodbye. Wish I had more time with the girls, but Paul and I had to work Monday. And I'm old. I wish I would have taken a pic of Jules and Rob. Duh.

It was a wonderful way to end a great weekend! I can't stress it enough - we are very blessed.

No comments: