Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Birthday fun

I had a nice birthday - for a Monday! I'm 56 years old. Yikes. It doesn't seem possible. I can't be a day older than 46, can I? I took a quiz linked in the New York Times recently that said my "Fitness Age" is 40. Yippy. You put in workout information, waist size and pulse. 56 is the new 40 - except when I look in the mirror....

I received a number of greeting cards - I saved them all to open when I got home from work. Except Paul's - he'd gotten up to go hunting. I opened his card - just to start my day right. Odie gave me a wag and a doggy smile too. I'd purchased cookies at Trader Joe's, but decided to also get Dunkin' Donuts. I did resist those round mounds of goodness but not the TJ cookies. At our office, you're in charge of bringing treats for your own big day - which works well because then if you don't - it's on you! Amy called early - so I got birthday wishes from my girl.
I even snagged a box of gluten free for my intolerant co-workers (their systems, that is...)


After our staff meeting, I had a message saying I had a delivery.
My deer hunter came through with roses
Some how I was lucky to get put on the special calendar for a work lunch for my birthday - even with Becky gone on maternity leave. My job has me working between 2 sections at DNR. Solid Waste staffers are very good about celebrating birthdays. My real section - Financial and Business Assistance - not so much. Four co-workers and I walked down Grand to Quentins about noon for a big baked potato. I enjoyed chatting with them about non-work related stuff!

That afternoon I received a text from Paul saying he'd shot a buck with his bow - yippy! Last year with the move, he got skunked - no deer. This year he's gotten 3 - 2 with his bow and 1 with my car. Of course that one got up and ran away...(I got my car back today - $4,000 damage in total - out of a 6 lane road with no other cars, the deer had to pick that spot to run??).

When I got home from work, I read all my cards - so clever, and nice to hear from everyone. I had a date that night with the Diamond Brooke ladies - because I wasn't expecting Paul home too early. Plus the Packers were playing that night, so I knew he'd be pretty worthless as a dining companion. Marilyn was set to pick me up - so when a vehicle pulled up outside I nearly ran out and jumped in. Then a guy got out - he had flowers! They were from Jud and Kara - how sweet!
Paul arrived with deer in tow. We already have the meat from the doe being processed so he will donate this one to the HUSH program - so the meat with go to the prison system. Phew- as long as I don't have to eat it.

Marilyn and Mary Lou picked me up about 5:30 to head back downtown to Americana Restaurant. There were 9 of us this month. Sometimes there are more, sometimes less. Many of them have Mary in their names (Mary Lou, Mary Jo, Mary Ann) - it's confusing. Plus there is another Leslie - and her last name starts with B. My maiden name letter, which makes me think it's me sometimes. We range in age from young/old (my age) to middle/old (70's). I had a nice lemondrop martini and scallops. They were yummy! Connie entertained us with stories of her granddaughter.

Paul was entranced by the Packers game when I got home - good call by me to attend the meal! Jud called later to wish me happy birthday. He's headed to California - near Sacramento this week for work. Then he and Kara will fly to Denver for a concert and to see his sissie. They're doing a beer tour. It was nice to talk to my little (6'2") buddy.

I received text messages and Facebook wishes throughout the day. All in all - a very nice birthday. I feel very blessed.

No comments: