Sunday, November 24, 2013

Big Chill

I'm not ready for this weather...my goodness, I had to start wearing my fingerless gloves at work at least a month early! It's ridiculous I know - but my body temp runs consistently way below the human average 98.6. As I get older, the chillier I feel. I believe a warmer climate is my destiny in years ahead - during the winter anyway!

I heard from my college roommate Jane Flack Conn last weekend. We'd vowed to get together more often, and she wanted to schedule a meeting. We settled on Friday lunch at Cheesecake Factory - which kind of defeated the beauty of that place, since drinks weren't in order. Oh, they serve them then - but we both had too much to do to get sidetracked in a booth at Jordan Creek Mall all afternoon. (Though it sounded great...).

It was nice to see Jane a catch up. She is such a lovely lady - who has had a rough patch lately. I know all her family too, since we have known each other since age 18. Plus she knows all of our mutual college friends and my fam - so lots to discuss! Jane's daughter Morgan is a frosh at ISU - another full circle thing. She has two high school age sons at home in Waukee. Too soon lunch was over and Jane was off to pick up Morgan at school. I hope to see her again soon! With drinks.

Friday night Paul and I had an invite to Grimes to nephew Karl and wife Lee's house. Karl's brother Craig was in town to run in the Living History Farms Mud Run. Craig is a Triathlete and computer engineer working in Cedar Rapids. Karl teaches Chemistry at Valley High School. He entertained us with stories of demonstrations for students. Some involved the loss of hair on his arms. I wish I would have had a chem instructor like Karl when I was in High School - I might not have needed Ellen the Bitchy tutor in college! Lee is a biologist who has worked for an arboretum and has done some education gigs. She's planning to get a new job soon.

It was really fun to catch up with those kids - the boys are Paul's brother Larry's boys. Growing up, they lived at the farm in Earlville, Iowa - Paul's home place. Even though Amy and Jud are younger than they are, they always enjoyed hanging out with our kids and we'd leave the kids at their house for overnights. They'd play Ninja Turtles and explore the farmstead of Paul's youth. I'm glad the cousins bonded like that. Jud was an usher in Karl and Lee's wedding a few years ago.
Boys play and await waffles at Waveland

Saturday Paul and I breakfasted at our fave - the Waveland. I always enjoy people watching there. The red-haired waitress said her husband had filled a flask for her for the KC Chiefs game today. She told some of her customers - who must have been friends that her husband, Shep, called it "pants off juice". I thought that was hilarious.

Then we went to my new fave place to look around - Mills Fleet Farm. They have everything! Paul wanted to go to Sportsman's Warehouse nearby - he's lusting after a cammo down coat. We attended afternoon Mass only to find Father Leonard Kenkel was the celebrant! We were pleased that Fr. Kenkel got through it okay - the guy isn't getting any younger! They didn't even give him a deacon to help.
Paul snubbed purchase of yard deer at Fleet Farm
Paul's always said he'd take rogue wives and children on "hunting trips" and take care of them...

After church we ended up at Legends for a drink and supper (I had gumbo!) before settling into our chairs for the football game. Yes, it was a home game and we could have gone. I vetoed it. I just couldn't do it. Yay for the Cyclones for playing great in tough conditions and pitching the shutout against the Kansas Jayhawks. Bravo to all fans who attended! My green chair is now 2 for 2 - lucky on home games. We won the Oklahoma State Game when Paul and I didn't attend 2 years ago.

Today - it's prep day! Our kids are heading this way for the holiday! I need to clean and get groceries. Also my pal Debbie is supposed to be in town. Now - off to swim laps. There has been a great post on Facebook by Atlantic former swim team members helping me walk down memory lane on that topic. Fun!



No comments: