Saturday, November 23, 2013

Go Team!

Recently I was hanging out with friends who partook in a few drinks. I, however, was stone sober - thanks to a wicked sinus infection that was giving me migraines. I didn't think adding liquor onto that combo would be a good idea.

Liquor can be like truth serum. After drinking, stuff comes out that one might not say otherwise -which can be good or bad. In this case - that person hit the nail on the head.

The first thing they said was, "My spouse makes me a better person." I think all of us together that day would agree - that is true, true, true. In my case, Pablo is and does many of the things I can't/won't do. And he would probably say the same about me. It's corny, but I think it's the movie Ghost, with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze where one of them says "you complete me". I dislike it when someone calls their spouse "their better half". Let's hope we're all complete people! But my honey does square out my edges.

The next deep drunken thing the person said was, "Couples today give up on marriage too easily." We discussed that too. I think it's true. Here's a little analogy.

I met my partner when I was pretty young. It wasn't smooth sailing with this partner and I shopped around a bit. but when it came down to it - I decided to stick with that partner. It hasn't always been easy. There have been down years where perhaps I didn't pay attention like I should have. Especially when my partner was having a bad year - not having success like I'd hoped. But I never wavered in my loyalty. Some people seem to change partners at the drop of a hat. Others are forced to change allegiances due to circumstances. Still others are left behind by their partners through no fault of their own.

My partner? Iowa State University and Cyclone athletic teams. You may have thought I was talking about Paul. Nope - I hadn't met him yet when I first went to college. I was thinking about how marriage can be like allegiance to a school or team. Yeah, it's kinda weak - but go with me here.
dorm party
In my case, after I went to ISU, I wasn't sure the large school was for me. I struggled with classes to start with. I was used to breezing through classes without studying. So when my grades weren't good, I started to shop around for smaller schools to attend. I thought maybe a smaller school would be a better partner for me.
Eric Hoiberg
  • By then I'd met some really nice friends though. And school was fun - except for the school work part! So I decided to learn to study. I even had to get a tutor for Chemistry - my weakest subject. "Ellen the Bitch" tutor (She probably though of my as (Leslie the dumbshit student) helped me attain a C in that subject.
  • I bonded with ISU through my years there. I figured out what I wanted to major in and ended up with Eric Hoiberg as my advisor - his son is now our Men's Basketball Coach. My friends and I purchased season football tickets every year and I began my love affair with Cyclone sports. Hell - I bought my first ISU clothes, even a cowboy hat. I learned to love the buildings on campus - especially the older buildings - the ones with the most personality.

One of the things I love about my partner (ISU) - the buildings like Dairy Industries
  • After graduation we went back for a game every year - getting together with our college friends - so important for mental health. Today we attend games with Creston friends - and sometimes college friends come too.
  • There have been better years and not so good years - but I have always proud to wear the cardinal and gold. I never considered changing allegiances to a flashier, more winning program.
    What the stadium looked like in 1976
  • I've seen other ISU fans criticize the team (coach/certain players) - even when we win. Some so-called fans are never satisfied. They have to point out just what the players did wrong. I'd hate to be married to somebody like that! Gee - thanks for cleaning the house, cooking dinner, doing the dishes and by the way - the meat was dry. Like shoe leather. Did you overcook it? (Why don't you cook it yourself next time you $#&$*)

So - how could I possibly compare marriage to being a Cyclone Fan? Yeah, I know - pretty lame. You could use any team though - it doesn't have to be the Cyclones. The point is that it takes a while to build a relationship with your partner. You don't just look for somebody that looks good (like Alabama right now in NCAA Football) and say - "yep - that's my team". After the initial romance you need to be prepared for some adversity.

Life isn't always like being engaged and the initial high of newlywed life. And even if they're winners - the bloom eventually wears off. See USC, Texas, and Auburn. Beware - some potential partners look good, but they're setting you up. You might try to cheer for others, but your heart isn't in it. When Jud was about 10, he was sick of cheering for ISU. He decided he'd be a Kansas basketball fan. But it didn't stick - because he was faking it! You can't do that over time.

There is a couple we know who have gone through some tough times in their marriage. But they have stuck it out and are still together today. Bravo! Many young couples just give up at the first sign of trouble - like divorce is the answer. I know it can be. I have encouraged a couple friends to leave bad marriages. I know not all marriages are worth staying in. But it makes me sad when perfectly good families break without giving it the 'ol college try. Then they all seem to remarry - and you know those marriages can't be perfect either. None are.

Then there are the married people who forget which team they're supposed to be cheering for. They start watching other teams - forgetting their allegiance to the team they're pledged to...Don't forget to pay attention to your spouse - they're your teammate!

Anyway - that's what I'm thinking about as I watch ISU play Kansas on TV. I didn't go watch the 4 degree game in person. I'm the person who wears fingerless gloves at my job - indoors. I don't do cold well. My body temperature starts at about 97 degrees instead of the usual 98.6. I'm a chilly willy, what can I say. Hated missing Senior Day, but hate being cold more.

No comments: