Saturday, February 16, 2013

Another busy week (Creston & Atlantic stuff)

Poor Odie. Good thing she has a bladder of steel! At least that we know of...we got home late.

I blogged before about our Realtors Marg and Holly. They're not normal! In a good way, of course. They invited us to a cocktail party Wednesday evening at Holly's home, which is located off 42nd Street, south of Grand in the hilly wooded area with cool, older homes. Holly is a designer - so you had to know her place would be fab.

Paul and I worked late that night and then stopped at our fave, The Standard for one drink because the party didn't start until 5:30 p.m. One has to be fashionably late. There was a singer that night who was really good - it was sad that there weren't many people there to appreciate him. About 5:45 p.m. we headed towards our destination. We didn't have any problems spotting the place as Holly had placed one of her Iowa Realty signs in the yard. The house was lit up with cars surrounding it.

Marg greeted us at the door, and Holly's husband Fritz introduced himself - making us feeling welcome. There were already fifteen or more people there. We each got a beverage and made our way to where one of my co-workers, Alex Moon and his wife were talking to the woman helping with the food. Introductions all around. Alex was the person who recommended Marg to us when I told him we were moving to DSM.

Alex is actually one of my supervisors - he's the Environmental Program Supervisor of the Solid Waste Section. He isn't yet 40 years old, but has been working at DNR for many years - working through the ranks. I knew him before - when I worked in Creston and I applied for my current position. He was in on the interview team. He treats me very professionally and I enjoy working with him.

I've been looking forward to meeting Alex's wife Julie, as she hails from Bedford, Iowa. When I worked as recycling educator across Adams, Taylor and Union Counties, Bedford was part of my stomping grounds. I wrote a column for the newspaper in that town - and Julie mentioned as much. I miss writing those monthly columns! Sometimes I'd start out early in the month with one piece in mind and by the time I turned it in for publication - it had morphed into something different altogether. The columns were on all things environmental - they gave me about 900 words to get out my message. I was surprised and pleased at how many people would comment about reading the column as I traveled throughout the 3-county territory. People, like Julie, still bring it up today.

Paul and I talked to Julie and Alex about mutual acquaintances in the Bedford area. I always must talk about the very cute Zeb, the chap that runs the deer locker. Julie said he's a few years younger than she is, but he rode the bus with her. She also knows Kenny Spencer, the City employee who was so helpful each year when I put together a collection day for household hazardous waste in town. People could drop off unwanted paint, chemicals and the like. One year we got a whole drum's worth of DDT tins left over from World War 2! Mick Landers helped with those events - what a good guy to work with! Paul even assisted us one year.

Paul and I didn't want to totally monopolize this young couple all night. We split up to try some of the appetizers. Humus, crackers, cheese, cupcakes and lots of other goodies were available. Hands full, we decided to sit on the couch with an available coffee table, near a couple who must have had the same idea. We all had nametags on. I noticed the man, who looked to be around our age, had the last name Kenyon. There is a Kenyon family in Creston. Hmmm.

When I asked Greg Kenyon if he knew the family in Creston, he said - "That's my family." Small world Iowa strikes again! He's the middle bro between Skip, Creston's City Attorney - and the guy who wrote one of our wills, and Tim, Union County Attorney. He graduated with Creston's Class of 1976 - our class. Jeff McFee, Rick Piel, Barb Crittenden - lots of people we know are from that class. Tim's son and daughter graduated with our children. So we had that whole connection to talk about. And a few other Creston characters....

Greg's wife, Pam, it turns out is Holly's high school friend. Greg and Pam went to Drake. And yes, Greg is an attorney like his brothers (and dad...). We talked Drake for a while since my sis Cindo went there too - a couple years ahead of these kiddos. Peggy's Tavern - the first place I ever got drunk.

Yeah - I was 15, with a fake ID. Mom was on the Cass County Hospital Board, and had traveled with Hospital Administrator Harold Parks to Des Moines for a meeting. She took me along to stay with my dear sister. I attended a class with her and remember going to food service for a meal. Then we had a beer or two in the dorm room. Peggy's was next. I was in awe - a 15 year old drinking with college kids. Thanks Cindo, for providing and safe and loving environment for that experience - and I mean it. She took care of me, and didn't let me overdo it. I was amazed at how much beer made you have to pee.

When Greg and Pam found out that I grew up in Atlantic they asked if I know Mark Wood (Woody-still comes back for every Drake Relays) and a few other people - one of the Van Ginkels. (Can't remember which one went to school there...he ended up buying our old house at 202 Crombie with his wife Marsha Cohron.) And Kendall Anderson? Hmm you're making me work. I can picture him - good bball player. They were a bit older than I am, but yes, I know those people.

Greg told us more Peggy's lore and Drake Relay's stories. Evidently Peggy's is only opening sporadically these days. Sad deal. Pam works at Meredith - and knows Paul's niece Barb who used to work there too. They live in Waukee on a pond. Greg had some Qs for Paul regarding watersheds. All too soon it was time to head out. We truly enjoyed the evening. It's fun meeting people.

Alex told me the next day he met someone who attended grade school with Des Moines author Bill Bryson. Byson, who was born in 1951, wrote "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" a memoir of his childhood here. Des Moines is an interesting place. Just like any town is, if you give it a chance. I like hearing people's stories. Thanks to Marg and Holly for giving us a chance to tell ours, and to hear a few more.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're so good at remembering names but I will add what I know. I think it's Jim Van Ginkel that you were trying to think of and he married Marcie Cochron. Both of them used to be neighbors of mine. Thought I'd add that so you won't stay up at night trying to recall the names.