Sunday, February 17, 2013

You can't make this up...

Our new home features a laundry room right next to the walk-in closet. Paul has a dresser in there, while I mostly use the one in our bedroom. I did a load of whites, and must have been in a hurry when I was sorting things - after I took the clothes out of the dryer. It was mostly the T-shirts he wears under his shirts. He has to dress up for work - "dress casual" these days. No more jeans and vests like he wore when he worked with farmers in Creston.

Tuesday I picked him up after work. I meet him on the Locust Street bridge most days. He puts his backpack into the back seat Scooby, my Subaru and hops in. We each carry backpacks to work - he actually has a hike to work, probably 10 blocks from the parking ramp by my office to his at the Federal Building in downtown Des Moines, near the Civic Center.

When he hopped into the car Tuesday afternoon, he reached back into his backpack and pulled something out. I was maneuvering the car out of my parking space and into traffic - then right onto Third Street towards the Freeway. Then I heard about it, and chuckled the rest of the trip!

Paul told me he had walked to work that morning in the chill. When he got to his office at 6:45 a.m. he pulled his hankie (he's one of the few men I know who still carries one of these cloth things to blow his nose on) out of his back pocket, when he realized....it was a pair of my UNDIES! Yikes. A quick look around to make sure no one else saw this. Phew - good thing he does get to work early. I wish I could have seen the look on his face when he realized just what he had grabbed...

So I was trying to drive in traffic when I heard this story - and howling with laughter! I'm sure his backpack was like a time bomb to him all day. He sure couldn't wait to give me back my un-mentionables! To his credit - they were silky a silky white pair, and I had left them in the area where he keeps his hankies. By mistake!

Paul was afraid I was going to crash the car in afternoon traffic that day, because of my distracted driving. "I'm sorry officer. I got in a wreck because I was laughing at my husband who took my underwear to work as his handkerchief." It still makes me smile today.

Life's moments - you gotta laugh!

No comments: