Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Jud Weekend

Jud arrived right on time, about 6:30 PM Friday evening. Odie was so excited to see him! We were too of course. We didn't have any big gifts for him for his birthday - hope he wasn't disappointed about that. We figured cash is king at his age, so we had sent him a card earlier with a week along with a token or our birthday joy. Plus we had promised him a clothes shopping excursion. GF Kara stayed in KC this trip - she's off to places afar the next couple weeks for work, and decided that a weekend at home sounded like a good idea.

We headed to Jethro's in Waukee for his bday meal - upon his request. I'd texted my former roomie Joan earlier that day about joining us. She was working the late shift at her job as a dispatcher for FedEx, so I knew she'd be getting off about Jethro's time. She called to say she'd be delighted to join us. Yay!
Jud and Paul awaiting a table at Jethro's BBQ
We ordered up 20 wings whilst we awaited Joanie, who was en route from her job on SW 9th. Man I love their wings - so much so that Pablo and I got an order of 10 to go for today's Superbowl - our big party (just me and him...). When Joan arrived we ordered meals and had fun catching up on each other's activities. She and I lived together for nearly 4 years, so we know a lot about each other - fams, friends, work etc.

Paul and I have known Joan since Jud was one year old. We met her, I explained to Jud that night, when we went skiing with a big mixed group in the winter of 1990. Besides Joan the group included her fiance, Albia native Kevin Scieszinski - they lived in Des Moines. Joan's bro Jeff McFee and wife Bobbie introduced us to the couple. Others skiers were Denis and Mendy Ritzman and our college pals Moose and Kay Wilt from Chicago. We stayed in a condo in Silverthorne and skied the whole front range. It was a good time!

Later that year, Kevin, only in his early 30's, had a recurrance of colon cancer - and passed away. So very sad for everyone - especially Joan, his fiance. Joan is still like family to his large family. So long ago now - Jud just turned 24! I told him that he participated in a cancer walk at age 2 (in a stroller most of the time) at Drake Stadium a year after Kevin passed away. Since then Joan moved to Kansas City and back. (Jeff still complains about assisting). And she married Bill Bentley of Diagonal 6? years ago. Joan has watched our kids grow up with her nieces - Jeff and Bobbie's kids, Kimmy and Kristina. So lots of history there!

It was a fun evening. I enjoy hanging with my kids as grown ups. Those of you with young 'ens - look forward to it. It's rewarding. You don't have to wipe their chins...

Saturday we headed across the street to Jordan Creek Mall to clothes shop. Always a challenge with either Amy or Jud - who is especially picky about how pants fit. I know - he doesn't come across as a clothes guy. But I get it - you do want them to feel good and look good. Work pants are hard to find - guys don't have much variation to choose from. Did score a pair of pants, a belt, shoes and some shirts. We had a nice lunch at Cheesecake Factory - no martinis, thank you very much. Love the lettuce wrap chicken Thai Tacos. Oh yea, we did get cheesecake - to go. We stopped by Banana Republic before we left - and ran into Jud's college pal Miranda! She's a school teacher, working part time there. Fun to catch up - she's our neighbor too, as she lives by our fave bar, Maverick's.

Oh...forgot to mention, after 2 visitations, 3rd time was a charm. Bought this baby. The saleslady said (in an Eastern European accent) "You haf been here 3 times -sale iss over soon!" She even knew I had walking clothes on the first visit. It was very cute.
nearly half price with sales - so it was almost like they were paying ME...
That night, it was basketball baby! Jud was anxious to experience Hilton Magic once again. Baylor always has tons of talent, so I was worried. Paul and purchased a ticket so while he stopped by the Will-Call window I took Jud by Johnny's Place.
Hey Coach!
 
I told the guys to sit together in our usual seats - that way they could talk all sports and strategy. I was in Section 215 - not far away. Snapped this photo of them. At halftime Jud got to go to Johnny's with his pal Noelle (former Cy) for a beer.

The last couple games we've seen this over the top fan. I believe he made his own hat with lots of superglue. He's got a big necklace too. Pablo in 15 years?

I started up a conversation with the couple from Keota (near Washington, Iowa) sitting next to me. I know - chatting with strangers is somewhat out of my comfort zone! But it went well. Their son is a sophomore at ISU - pre-vet. The guy was a 1987 ISU grad, very nice couple. And the Clones came through with a nice victory over Baylor, so the all 3 of us were pleased. It was a snowy drive back to WDM.

Jud took off early this a.m. - I hated to see him go. I miss the patter of my two guys talking sports 24/7. Okay, I don't miss hearing it 24/7 - but I do enjoy it some of the time. I like talking to Jud about his future (Amy too). They have unlimited options it seems! I feel so smart now to be able to say - You should do this: set your priorities blah, blah, blah. But did I do it myself when I was their age? No. Did my parents try to tell me this stuff? If they did, I don't remember it...

I let life take its course...if I could do it over, I would be more goal driven. But it's turned out pretty well despite my lack of long term goals. And real life does have a way of getting in the way of plans. No matter what life throws at them, Amy and Jud are survivors - they've got the tools to succeed. ;>)

No comments: