Monday, February 18, 2013

Marty, Waveland and Jules

I hope I look that good in 25 years! Amy, Marty and Amy's gorgeous 18 year old daughter Kate (takes after her momma and gran)

My cousin Amy just posted this photo of 3 generations of the Lamm/Bullock fam women. It's from my Aunt Marty's 80th birthday party. Our daughter Amy was able to represent the Goldsmiths at the party - as Marty and her husband Bill live in Denver where Amy lives. We sent an Iowa gift bag to her - since that's where Marty grew up, good 'ol Atlantic. The bag even showed Atown on the map, and I included Oinkers Sauce from The Pines. The Bullocks ate many a good broasted chicken meal from that restaurant!

Speaking of food. Saturday Paul and I checked out a new place for breakfast. We'd been at a loss for a good, non-chain joint to go to since Baby Boomers closed last spring. The Sunday before we had tried Mimi's Cafe over by the new Kohl's. It was fine - expensive though. And it just isn't quite what I was looking for - a homey, Creston-like place. My co-worker Alex suggested we try the Waveland Cafe over on University at about 47th.

We woke up fairly early that day - because we're old...it's hard to sleep in! So we headed to the Waveland. Alex told me he eats there nearly every Saturday at 6 a.m. We didn't get there that early! He must have been dining with his father - and they were just on their way out, so we took their little booth for two. The Waveland Cafe had Paul at kitschy Packer decorations. He was sold once he saw that stuff! There were interesting murals on the walls and little drawings here and there - like proud grandparents had stuck them up.

The menu is perfect - you can get half orders of things, which is just the right amount for me! The coffee with rich, and the waitstaff friendly. I bet it gets busy as the morning goes by. I had an egg and a piece of french toast with a piece of bacon for $5.50. Paul had an egg with hashbrowns and toast. It was all good.

Paul is deep in thought...not the old juice machine - I think it's an antique! Love the mural - must be the owners...

Guess who stopped by our place in WDM on Sunday? Odie was thrilled to have her old pal Julia Hoilien come to visit! Jules was in the area visiting friends from her post college years in Iowa. It was fun to see her and to show her our new home. Nice catching up on the Mason fam - she filled me in on what Jeff, Zetta and Marcella are up to. Some of my favorite peeps!
You'd never know she was up late dancing with her girlfriends...what a cutie!


1 comment:

Mary MG said...

Leslie, sometime you should try breakfast at The University Library Cafe, a little cafe at the end of our block. I haven't tried their breakfasts yet, but I've heard they're pretty good. The place is owned by the group of people who own Mullets, Royal Mile, El Bait Shop,and Fong's Pizza.