Sunday, April 29, 2012

This old chair and other stuff

It's the "post Kitty" era, and Paul and I have been washing and cleaning in our bedroom. That was home base for Samantha - our cat of 19 years who went to kitty heaven last weekend. Our room was hairball central. It's amazing how much fur a short-haired cat can shed over the course of time. I'm not Holly Homemaker, but do run the vacuum periodically.

Kitty spent time under and on our bed, and on my mom's old chair. I've had the chair for over ten years - since dad's second wife Pat (we called her P2 since Mom was also named Pat) decided to re-decorate their Atlantic condo, and for some strange reason Mom's chair wasn't part of the plan. Dad's chair was too far gone to save - a smokey blue wing back recliner.
We started to vacuum, and noticed dampness, stains, rips - it had to go.

Mom's chair - complete with ottoman, is a comfy wing back. I love that chair. Sitting in it is like a little hug from Mom. It didn't go with our living room colors (orangish/cream), so I put it in the bedroom. The ottoman has served well as a step stool for the pets to get onto the bed, which is high for their little legs. The chair has been great for reading, even work, or when others take over the living room for watching the Packers.

While cleaning yesterday we made the decision. The chair has to go. Tough decision to make, but stains and the faded, torn covering helped. Three pets and 30 years have taken their toll. We'll keep the ottoman for now - until we find something else. Hate to do it, but gotta. Stinky!

And I still have Mom's blue suede bell bottoms and cardigan!

Other stuff:
  • You may recall my blog about my elbow surgery and the tumor the surgeon discovered in there. Jokingly I said the tumor was my twin Imelda - the shoe lover, and that I'd lost my lust for shoes upon removal. Take heart all ye! I've recovered a bit. (Hopefully without any foreign objects growing inside me).
My foot is on the dash of Paul's car. I know the socks are nerdy - so am I.

  • Found these cute slip ons at Marshall's.  Our office is so chilly with the AC on, sandals are not going to be possible for a while (my body temp runs at about 97.6 degrees, and I'm always cold, especially my feet!) - so I need something to wear with skinny jeans and cropped pants.
  • Quiet weekend in Creston with the Gsmiths. Odie had shots at the vet Friday. yesterday she was either feeling poorly from that or down in the dumps, missing her kitty sis. Me too.
  • Saw these at Seed on my walk during lunch at work this week. This store is on Grand in the East Village. That store always makes me wish I had a green thumb. Alas - I don't. Pablo did put plants in pots (his thumb is greenish) on our front porch this weekend - from photos I took of ones I liked in Decorah. So I do take credit for good plant taste...
Welded birds and plants at Seed are springy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

farewell old chair, you have served the Bullocks well.