Monday, April 16, 2012

Creston's Challenge

I didn't realize what a computer hoarder Paul G. Goldsmith had become...snivel, sniff. While I'm relegated to my smart phone and Nook - unable to blog on vacation. But that's okay - I didn't come here to be tethered to my computer. That's why I left it at home.


Today Paul and Cindy are on their last walk. I stayed home to do some laundry (and snuck the computer). I didn't want to do the "this is my last walk of the year" walk anyway. It's another gorgeous day in paradise. Paul and I have spent the past day and a half pouring over storm coverage from Creston - where a tornado hit in our absence!

So thankful nobody was killed or seriously injured in the storm. (And that it didn't hit our house - Lila, the dog-sitter checked it out). The thing did strike just a mile north - on my usual walk path, near the Country Club neighborhood and our hospital, college - all on the NW side of town. Many friends make their living at the hospital - It makes me sad they have been impacted so greatly - but again, in the big picture, no lives were lost and things can be replaced and fixed.

Saturday night all we had were some reports on Facebook, and Paul talked to Bobbie who along with Jeff was helping tarp the roof at the Scott home. The photos posted on various sources since then are so compelling. Here we are in paradise, and our town has been ravaged!
DSM Register Photo Gallery
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=D2&Dato=20120415&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=204150802&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=1

I'm ready to head home. I'm sure I'll be full of regrets once I get there, but a worker bee can only be decadent, eating, drinking and doing nothing worthwhile for so long. It's been fun - hanging with Cindy, and Colby earlier in the week. But my home beckons. People there are strong and resourceful. They aren't waiting for outsiders to show up and fix things. (Even though the Gov did tour yesterday - see Register photos - showing our pal DON Gwen Buck, followed by our neighbor Hospital Administrator Monte Neitzel).

Creston will be back, baby - better than ever.

1 comment:

Mary MG said...

Good post. Hoping Creston does come back even better!