Monday, June 25, 2018

Post Doc

My Doc (in this case beloved Nurse Practitioner) retired. Congratulations to her! What a wonderful care provider.

Sheryl Young wasn't just my care provider - she's a friend! I'll miss catching up with her on her family during my healthcare visits. I've known the Young family for many years - back before Sheryl went back to school to become an ARNP, MSN. Then they moved away from Creston. We were lucky to catch up with her when we moved to Des Moines. Sheryl always asked about my family as she cared for my health. She knew they are a key to my well-being! I hope Sheryl and Bob enjoy retirement. They've earned it.

I've been spoiled. Before we moved to Des Moines, I knew my previous healthcare providers well too. When you go to a doc in a small town, it's hard not to! It's not like we hung out, but Dr. Chuck Hoyt treated our whole family for years. He moved back to town just after Jud was born. Paul traveled back to Creston for his physical with Chuck this year. Word has it, Dr. Hoyt will retire soon too. He too has put in some time in the trenches.

Growing up in Atlantic, I had one doctor through age 18 - Dwain Wilcox. He was a kind, serious man who watched over the Bullock family. In fact, he brought several of us into this world. His own daughter Tressa eventually became an Atlantic doc.

Dr. Wilcox even made housecalls. I don't know why Mom made the formal living room into the examination/shot room. Sometimes on Saturday nights, he could be found at our house playing poker, smoking and drinking with my folks and other friends. Yep, smalltown Iowa. That was the way I grew up.

I've come to the time in life when I must search for a new doc. And gulp...this one will be younger than I am. Sheryl's clinic was on the SE side of Des Moines. It was convenient for work visits, but not for those times I was sick at home.

It was one of those times I had to adult and find me a new doc. After doing some research, I selected a UnityPoint closer to home. There is a woman doc in her 40's - undergrad at ISU. Plus plenty of PAs. It takes a long time to build a relationship with a healthcare provider. I won't likely see them at poker club or at high school football games or riding their motorcycle like I did Chuck Hoyt. Those days are over. I'm fortunate Des Moines has many healthcare choices. Where nobody knows me. I guess at 60 it's time to grow up!



No comments: