Sunday, June 24, 2018

Biking the mountains of NE Iowa

I know, Iowa has no mountains. Tell that to my thighs.

A couple months ago, Paul helped organize a work event that ended up with a reception at Peace Tree, an East Village brewpub we enjoy. Present and former USDA co-workers gathered, along with a few DNR folks. Somehow the two groups, one federal and one state, seem to be drawn to each other. They do have a shared mission in reducing soil loss and often work closely with each other on this issue.
What views! 

That's when the idea of kayaking in NE Iowa came up. A DNR buddy, Becky Ohrtman volunteered to set up a trip. She used to work close to me on the 5th floor of the Wallace Building. After Becky moved to another floor, I lost track of her. I was happy to hear she was able to transfer to the Manchester Field Office a couple years ago - which is great for Becky and fiance Mike, another DNR employee who is based there. They had been doing the long-distance thing for many years.

We settled on this weekend for the trip. Mom Nature didn't cooperate. With all the rain, rivers are dangerously high for boating. We're a versatile group and decided to bike instead!

The mysterious Becky - camera shy? 

We arrived in Decorah on Friday and grabbed lunch at a sports bar. The group was: Mike, Becky, Duane, Bob, Jody, Paul and me. I didn't choose my lunch wisely. The Ruben and beer haunted me later. (peddling gut bomb) One of our group rented a recumbent bike for the ride. While we waited for everyone to group up to take off on the bike path, Rick's tire blew up! It sounded like a firecracker. Good thing it was there - not on a hill. #wipeout.

I knew it would be hilly, woo baby. Good thing Albie (my beloved bike) has that first gear I never need to use in Des Moines. Going downhill is kinda scary too! Switchbacks and steep hills.
Checking out trout

Fish Hatchery spring
Rick and Bob at Pulpit Rock Brewery - met up with a former co-worker

We stopped at the Decorah Fish Hatchery - newly renamed after former DNR director Chuck Gipp, who is from this area. Congratulations to Chuck, who spent many years living away from his family while serving as a legislator, then at the Department of Agriculture and finally as DNR director. There is a beautiful freshwater spring feeding this hatchery. Paul loved talking to Mike, who supervises this and other hatcheries.

The bike trail goes right by the site of the famous Eagle Cam. Without a good zoom, I didn't get a great shot but saw the eagle sitting on a branch. See if you can see it. People come from all over the world to see the nest.


Decorah is a beautiful little town. Hotels are expensive - at least during this time of year. $200 a night. Yikes! After biking 11+ miles we stopped at a local brewery called Pulpit Rock. We ran out of time to visit the more famous Toppling Goliath Brewery. That night we dined at the restored Winneshiek Hotel. Six of us wandered downtown afterward - a late night for this old girl. Thanks to the group for organizing the trip. What a great time!
Need a footstool? 

Paul and I headed back to Des Moines Saturday. One of my favorite events is happening now - The Art Festival! We visited the downtown event on a beautiful Saturday evening. Local brews, the Brazilian Twins and energized music, and art from all over the country. Loved running into our niece Barb and husband Mike - nice catching up. I saw many other posts from people we missed seeing downtown. People watching is my hobby.

The Art festival is perfection! I hope to get a bike ride in today to warm up the sore leg muscles. Weekends go by so quickly! I hope you all are enjoying life wherever you are.


More Art photos.
Wood vessels

Artists in Action

No comments: