Sunday, July 1, 2018

Old Woman

Old Woman - Traditional Folk Song

VERSE 1
Old Woman, ole woman are you fond of courting
Old woman, ole woman are you fond of courting
Speak a little louder, sir, I'm rather hard-of-hearing
Speak a little louder sir, I'm rather hard-of-hearing

VERSE 2
Old woman, old woman, are you fond of smoking
Old woman, old woman, are you fond of smoking
Speak a little louder sir, I've just begin to hear you
Speak a little louder sir, I've just begin to hear you

VERSE 3
Old woman, ole woman do you think you'd marry me
Old woman, ole woman do you think you'd marry me
O, my goodness, gracious me, I do believe I hear you
O, my goodness, gracious me, I do believe I hear you

I remember singing this song at Washington Elementary in Atlantic. Don't remember the smoking verse...
Of course, back then I never thought about the time when I'd be the old woman. It happened so fast. AND I'm not quite clear on just when the "old" descriptor kicks in.

I'm okay with being an old woman. Sometime. I guess it depends on just who is calling me an old woman. When I'm with my peers - no problem. We joke about being old women. It's almost a source of pride. Look how nicely we've growed up! I've explained how I forget how old I am - until I look in the mirror. Or when I get out of the car after riding a long distance. "Walk young" our pal Don McKim recommends. My joints don't always obey.
Photo of a project partially funded by the Derelict Building program - will be new City Hall
My nose got a little out of joint this week on a work trip through Eastern and NE Iowa. A younger woman riding with me on a work trip called me an old woman because of the way I parallel parked on a busy street. I'm afraid I briefly saw red and told her she could drive if she wasn't happy with my parking. (she's my boss - oops!) The old girl (me) still has some spunk. So call me Old Woman - if you dare! I may laugh or snap.

Paul and I took a quick trip to Saint Louis Saturday (overnight) to deliver the bookshelf he built and stained for Jud and Kara. Oak with a black finish. It turned out super. It matches the desk he built for them last year. Kara uses the office when she works from home. She has big plans on how to fill all those shelves. It was good to see the kids - and get that big unit out of our garage! 
A night out after delivery - at the Shaved Duck, a family favorite
Des Moines was hit by a huge rainstorm while we were gone - over 10 inches in some areas. A local sports personality was swept away by flood waters after his van was stranded on a city street. Prayers to his family.

We had under five inches at our house and were very pleased to find our basement unfazed. Sump pumps rule! On to one of my favorite holidays - Independence Day. It's tough when it falls on Wednesday. I think a lot of people are taking vaca. Not me! That's next week when we head to Cannon Beach for our Bullock Girl fam reunion. I'm looking forward to it! If you've never been to the Oregon coast, consider checking it out.

Have a great and safe 4th of July all! Remember - sparkler can be HOT!

No comments: