Friday, January 30, 2015

Today is Jud's birthday hooray, hooray, hooray

It's my little buddy's birthday today. Twenty six years ago today....way late at night after a full day of not all that active labor.
My handsome boy

Since that day, Judson David Goldsmith really put us through our parenting paces. We parented our asses off with that kid at times. He was a feisty little guy who didn't like to lose at sports. He also got a few childhood illnesses that landed him in the hospital that were scary for the 'ol parental units! Roseola that spiked his temp quickly - causing the docs to test for spinal meningitis.

Jud always had great birthday parties because he had a wonderful group of friends...and fab parents that put together fun parties! One year - before schools got worried about liability insurance and getting sued, we rented our Catholic School gym and put out the wrestling mats and let the kids tumble, shoot hoops and draw with markers on reams of newsprint in the hallway.
Looks like Sam Katzer is helping Jud blow out the candles...


By the time he hit high school, Jud was easy to parent. He wasn't the partying kind and he made us proud by working hard at team sports year round. It's only gotten better as he's grown up - going from a quiet introspective guy to someone who can talk to anyone. A person with the gift of gab like my father, lingerie salesman extraordinaire, Dave Bullock.

I hope he has a great birthday party at his place in St. Louis celebrating with girlfriend Kara.

Meanwhile....back at the Goldsmith ranch. Paul and I are recovering from the gunk. Paul...(Mr. "I don't need a flu shot") has Influenza A. Yep...the kind that the shot actually did cover. I can't gloat too much though because I did have the 26% effective flu shot and I still have a sore throat.

We have been binging on Breaking Bad. It's so violent and darkly uncomfortable. We can't stop. I wasn't sure if Paul would like it. And at first, he didn't seem to pay attention much. He bopped into his office and out. Next thing I know - he's in his chair watching with me. Just a couple middle aged folks watching a show about meth....ho hum.

Back in the day in Creston I used to go to meetings run by our Sheriff explaining just how the stuff was made and how one hit could make our children addicts. He said they would always be chasing that next high. The idea that people would mix toxic chemicals together and put them into their bodies is crazy.

Life's a trip. We're missing a fun party in Creston tonight because we're in recovery mode. Get well us!





No comments: