Sunday, January 25, 2015

January Thaw

Amy experienced Hoiball, Squirrel Dancing, I lapped it, Jane and Ken got hitched

Let's give Mother Nature a round of applause. I'm loving the warm January weather! Though as I write this I am watching snow fluttering to the ground. I'm sure we'll pay the price at some point - but each day is another one closer to spring.

Amy flew into DSM Monday night - returning from her trip to Pittsburgh with boyfriend Corey, who is moving there for training for his job. Tuesday we scored 2 extra tickets just in front of ours to the ISU/KSU game and Amy invited her friend Rachelle to go with us. The last time she saw the Clones play - she was a college student and we had a different coach and attitude. We ate at Brick City Grill prior to the game (voted #1 burger in Iowa this year). The Cyclones didn't play great, but pulled out a victory.

On Wednesday, our friends Jane and Ken came to pick up their wedding stuff. We'd been storing it at our house because they were flying in from Florida for their wedding Saturday in Norwalk. They invited us out to eat - Ken had not met Amy before and Jane hadn't seen her for many years. She designed a logo for him (he's a radio personality) last year as a gift from Jane. We enjoyed a meal with them at the Cheesecake Factory. Besides getting married Saturday, Ken was here to introduce Donald Trump at an event Friday...he was going to work in that he, as the Emcee, was "Fired".  #cornystuffpeoplelove

In the meantime Paul and I squeezed work into the mix. I had an all day workshop Wednesday with everyone with my section on "Teambuilding" at the State Library. The training session was an opportunity for our section members to remember our common goal. Sometimes we start working in "silos" and forget the resources sitting right next to us.

The trainer did an excellent job of keeping us on task while allowing individuals to express themselves. One exercise involved pairing up. One person talked, not using the words "I, Me, We". The other couldn't make eye contact or talk. The exercise showed what people in a group feel like when they don't have a voice. Good stuff. That was frustrating! I believe we'll make some changes to how our section meetings are conducted as a result of this training.

Thursday night is dancing night! We're working on Swing, which we feel fairly comfortable with. Our instructor came by and told us our hands were too high - making us look like squirrels. He told Paul he should look more cool like Fonzi. The two of us got a big chuckle out of that. We laugh a lot during those classes - which is very therapeutic. Thanks to Sherie for


Amy and I had a nice shopping afternoon Friday with lunch. It was my chance to have her all to myself! We cut it short so she could have a phone conference with a flaky customer who ended up never called. #frustratedsmallbizowner  Amy headed to Creston that night to visit her bestie Stormy. Those two have a lifelong bond. Meanwhile...back at the ranch, Paul and I stayed home and rested with pizza and a movie.



Amy models bibs
 

Saturday was gorgeous in Iowa! I headed to the YMCA before 8 a.m. I've been doing water exercises for a few months...and have been eying the lap pool longingly. Is my shoulder up to it? I decided that I'd give it a shot if a lane was open. Lane #1 welcomed me and I cracked off 10 somewhat wavery laps: breaststroke, backstroke, freestyle, sidestroke and kickboard x 2. Yay me! The shoulder did well.

Paul and I did some errands after that - then I was starving! We headed downtown and grabbed some comfort food at the Highlife Lounge. It had been a while since we'd been downtown - it makes me feel alive!



Jane and Ken's wedding was set to following Mass at the Catholic Church in Norwalk. We headed there about 4:30 p.m. It was lovely and heartfelt and included the song "Rooted in Love" - a play on Ken's last name. (I told Paul that I was going to sing "Goldsmithed in Love" to him this morning - but it just doesn't have the same zing...)

We enjoyed meeting the couple's family and friends and we even dance a bit and had our photo taken by the pros. We talked to the Busy Bee couple from the Farmer's Market for a long time. Ken commanded the mic for a while, and later sat with us and told a hilarious story about his radio days. It was a good time!
Introducing the couple


This morning it's snowing. Thanks Mother Nature for the January reminder...
In other news...Odie is feeling better - Yay! Amy flies back to Denver tomorrow - it's been a nice visit.








No comments: