Sunday, January 4, 2015

RIP Dick McCauley

Paul and I attended Dick McCauley's Memorial Mass at Saint Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Atlantic Saturday. I was baptized, confirmed and married in that church. Dick's wife Pat played her sweet violin at our wedding.

Dick lost his life in August after a car accident. His wife Pat was injured in the wreck, so the Memorial Mass was delayed to allow her to recover. There were many people at the Mass to pay homage to Dick, a fine man, and Atlantic native. He attended Jackson Elementary School and graduated from Atlantic High School with my Aunt Marty. They were good friends. So they thought it was quite nice when his son Mike and her niece (me) were boyfriend and girlfriend way back during our high school years.

It was during that time that I grew to admire that family - especially the parental units, Pat and Dick. Sure, they were human like all of us. And as a teen - I was supposed to look at them with disdain, right? But they seemed pretty okay for parents of five children - three they gave birth to plus two they lovingly adopted.

And they had toys! I enjoyed a snowmobile trip with the family to Okoboji - they fixed me up with the warm suit and helmet so I could buzz over the frozen lake behind Mike. Pat had her own motorcycle which she loaned to me as I learned to ride. Then I got my motorcycle license. (I'm not sure Pat and Dave B. ever knew about that one...) Mostly I rode on the back of Mike's dirt bike - without a helmet. My grandpa saw me and tattled to my parents. Oops! Those were fun times.

The Memorial Service kicked off with the song "On Eagle's Wings" - a tear jerker, to start the Mass. Mike led the family up the long aisle, mother Pat, sisters Dorothy and Kathy, brother Bok and Joe followed by the spouses, grandchildren and others. It was very emotional - it was a long time to wait to mourn their fallen father.

At the end of Mass, Mike's niece read a piece written by him. It described a day he spent with his father that he thought summarized his life. It was 1979. Mike and Dick had gone duck hunting on a farm in Chariton - and limited out early. Mike described the sounds and smells of the day, how perfect it was - spent with other friend, included a DNR officer. When they started the drive home, winding their way back to Atlantic, Mike started to doze off - they had arisen at 3:30 a.m. to get in place to greet the birds.

Then Dick, the driver, came upon a couple of hitchhikers. Of course he pulled over - that was his nature. They made room in the back seat for the wayward travelers and Dick asked all about their life stories. They'd been on the Mississippi and were now going west. Mike said it was inevitable - that even though the rest of the family wouldn't be expecting it, these people were coming to Thanksgiving Dinner at the McCauleys! That's how Dick rolled - so generous. Later he offered for Mike and his future wife Lori to drive the couple to their hometown in Lincoln, NE. See - so nice! haha
My parents weren't Elks members - I remember going here with Robyn and Bob Bredensteiner.  

After Mass there was a luncheon at the nearby Elks Club. Paul and I took that opportunity to speak to the few remaining Atlanticites we know - they're dwindling I'm sad to say. Many of my parents' generation are gone. That afternoon was to be the funeral of Hugh Ross - another longtime friend of my Dad's - from childhood. We enjoyed seeing Jane Deter - the first time in a long time. It's nice to see people like Jane who knew our parents - "back when". We also saw our parents' former neighbors from Oakmont - Collette Kinen and Marge Grayson. I had a chance to talk to Dick Cook - we spent many hours in his home with babysitter Lulabelle as she stayed with their girls and Betsy and me.

I hope the McCauley family enjoyed a day of fellowship - surrounded by the people who love them. That's what hometowns are for. Atlantic is a good hometown. RIP Dick - I'm so glad I had a chance to hang out with your family for a short time.  



1 comment: