Saturday, September 7, 2013

The traveler is back (my 1,100th BLOG!)

Light the fireworks - it's my 1,100th Blog! Hard to believe, when I started writing this blog a few years ago, that I'd be where I am today. I'm a happy blogger - no longer the same kind of commuter that I was when I began writing this blog. But glad to still have a forum for my thoughts, memories and words. Thanks readers!

I don't sleep well when my baby is gone. Which seems dumb since he kinda snores - even worse than Odie! I even drag my feet at going to bed when he's not around - staying up later than usual.

This past week I worked on Genealogy stuff on my computer - the Morehead clan (Mom's fam). They originated in Bedford County, Pennsylvania and ended up in eastern Iowa - around Tipton. I know it seems dumb, but I get jacked up when I find a grave or Internet information and can fill in a birth or death date. Right now it's all on a free site - which is dumb. I need to get it all someplace I control. I plan to sign up for a genealogy class West Des Moines is hosting this fall - then I'll get some good tips!
Kevin and Al - hunting mates - both do what Paul used to for the Natural Resources Conservation Services

Paul arrived home from his hunting trip early this morning - causing me to get only a few hours sleep. Odie was pretty excited to see her papa! Of course after he showered (it had been 7+ days - the man was stinky!) he climbed into to bed and we talked for a half hour or so. Then we got up around 7 and hit the Farmer's Market. He's craving carbs and a breakfast burrito hit the spot! We did a bunch of other shopping too. So great to have my partner in crime back home!

That's Al up there

Of course we had to tell each other all the news and stories we stored up throughout the time we were apart. Me - work and other stuff. Him - hunting. You must know this involves all the nuances of hunting. No - you don't understand if you've never been married to a hunter. Jeanne Piel gets it! She and I used to laugh about how Rick and Paul would relate their hunting stories to us: "The (insert animal or bird) turned (insert direction) it went (insert the description of the landscape the creature went through or over). It's head turned (insert). The (antlers/beard/length of fish) was X.
My honey

The only thing nearly as scintillating as that is hearing a play-by-play of your spouse's golf game. I got to hear more today - even the second hand story of Al's big miss. I smile and nod. Hey it's important to him. I'm sure some of the things I tell him are not all that exciting. You've seen the Owl commercial? I love that one - it goes something like this: (I think it's about all men). Her "I'll be home late I'm having a drink with Charlene from work" Him - "Who?" Her: "You know - Charlene" Him "Who?"

Despite the fact that he doesn't often really listen to what I have to say, I'm so very happy to have Pablo back to say "Who?". We went to church tonight at 4:30. Father Jim Kiernan (retired) filled in. He's a chaplain. His phone started ringing as he preached - he finally answered it - we could hear it through is microphone. He said, "they probably want me at the hospital but I'm stuck with you!" He's a funny guy who is old enough he tells it like it is!

During his sermon, he talked right to the kids as well as the oldsters like us. He asked them if they said "hi" to the unpopular kids. Fr. Jim used to teach at St. Alberts High School - He was used to teaching teens and was called upon to talk to younger kids a few times. He hated it. He said third graders all raise their hands like they know everything - then, when called upon, they just say anything that comes into their heads.

Father told the St. Francis girls they were beautiful but  - "you boys are ugly", he said. He said it's his usual line when he works with school kids. He said at one school a boy stood up and said, "but Father, you're one of us!" That got a laugh. Father Kiernan always gives a running description of what each part of the Mass means. I like that. He's a "tell it like it is guy".

After church we went to Granite City for drinks and dinner. We sat outside, and spied Ray and Bev Courtney leaving the restaurant with son Tyler and his fam. Creston connections are truly everywhere in DSM.

No comments: