Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Birthday Walk

I love this pic of Mom and Dad - they must have been dating or newly married

It's Dave Bullfrog's 85th birthday today. My dad. That is one of our nicknames for him. He was born in 1928 in Atlantic, Iowa. He was a heck of a guy - loved by many. I sure miss him! It's been nearly seven years that he's been gone - it was too soon.
There's a shot of my parents with me...I'm probably looking for the lighter fluid to drink...
Dad wasn't the best dad ever when we were growing up. He was gone a lot - working hard to make money to support our family. That's what dads did back then. They didn't engage with the family on all levels - making sure the kids did their homework - talking to them about emotional issues. Dad did things like snap my bra when I was uber embarrassed in the first place about wearing one. Then he let Mom deal with the fallout...hmmm come to think of it, maybe he's in purgatory. haha

But he was a fun-boy and we loved him. So I forgave him - eventually - even after he embarrassed me. And when I grew up - he was a wonderful dad - giving advice when needed and not sticking his nose in otherwise. He was a swell grandpa too. The kids loved it when he took them to "feed the ducks" and all the other Country Club activities. In Marco Island, Dad would pop popcorn to feed the gulls and would help the kids prepare shells to take back to their classmates. He was a real hands on Grandpa! (He still didn't handle stuff like Jud spilling soda pop at the Country Club very well...).

Today I pictured him playing golf with his buddies - like Eddie Freese and Tom Clithero. Then they'd have drinks in the heavenly clubhouse. Happy Birthday Big Guy!

To celebrate Dad's bday, I took a walk during my lunch break and took some photos. Readers know how I enjoy that.
Check out the bike on this doorframe of an antique store
Check out this new biz on Grand - a well groomed beaver is a Pink Beaver?
The rest of my walk was fairly uneventful. It felt good to get outside into the late summer heat because the Wallace Building is over-chilled.

The big job news is that I've put in an order for a stand up desk. I'll get a tall chair to go with it - so I won't actually have to stand up all day. In order to raise my workspace up, I asked to move to different cubicle so all 5 foot 6 inches of me won't be tempted to peep into neighboring cubicles. I'm moving into an empty cubicle that is up against a wall. Stay tuned - I will post pics once it's all set up.

I heard from Pablo the Poolboy today. The weather has deteriorated in SW Colorado. It sleeted and the elk are now laying low. He's talking about packing up and heading back either tomorrow or Friday. Yay!
A pic of Pablo from last year

No comments: