Sunday, September 1, 2013

Must upgrade tailgate experience

That's what Jeff McFee said after last night's game - a loss vs. the University of Northern Iowa. I was expecting a close game - usual against an in-state rival. They bring their A-game to play us. But I wasn't expecting the butt-kicking that felt like. Between that, and the 90 degree heat, it was pretty brutal. Take away the RV tailgating we've grown accustomed to...together with the fact my honey was gone. It was pretty sad.

My day didn't start out badly. I took a nice early morning walk. Then Odie and I drove to the neighborhood Starbucks. I haven't gotten the coffee recipe down for 1 person - it's been too weak since Paul left. He usually makes it in our Bunn-O-Matic drip coffee maker, manufactured right in Creston with Starbucks beans, ground by him. I'll have it down by the time he gets back - then I'll forget again. Anyway - I got a skinny vanilla latte for a million dollars. The barista asked if Odie would like a puppy latte. Um, would she ever! She had to wait until we got home to lap it up and read the paper. haha.

Next we were off to get her nails done. They grow out every three months or so. I like to take her to PetSmart - they use a grinder thing that leaves them smooth. It's $11. The guy was pretty busy - grooming a Westie, so I just stood and waited. Odie moaned the whole time she was on the table! Very dramatic. She was very happy when she was done, and received a nice treat when we got home.
Bobbie and Jeff arrived about 1 p.m. I was packed up and ready to go. I even remembered to put the tickets and parking pass in my purse ahead! It was a lot of pressure doing all this without Pablo to help. We decided to eat lunch at Mavericks before heading to Ames - out of the heat. We were the only Cyclones amidst Hawk fans there, but didn't take any heat.

We arrived at C4, our parking area, about 3 p.m. and there were still many spots to choose from. I think many were avoiding the heat. B & J had picked up Don's tent - to help shade us from the sun. That was a life-saver! We got that set up along with our chairs and plopped down with our drinks sweating. No TV, so we just sat and talked. I wasn't really hungry. We were parked next to ISU punter Kirby Van Der Kamp's family. We noted how they were using a generator for crock pots. We may need to get a generator for a TV and crock pots.

Soon our friends Bob and Sheryl Young walked by with their son Jesse. They stopped to chat. Then Beth and Todd Nielson came. They were our Creston neighbors - good to catch up with them. Hard to believe twins Olivia and Evan are seniors, and Alex, a junior, helped the CHS Panthers defeat Chariton the night before. Then Kimmy McFee arrived with her new roomie and bf. Kim just returned to school at ISU to obtain a degree in genetics. It was nice to see my little buddy - she was using Paul's ticket. She has been dog sitting for us the past year - we'll miss having her in DSM. Putting the tent back in the back before we headed to the game proved to be a team effort, but we got it done (it might not be too pretty though). Don and Diana arrived just in time to head to the game.
Folding up the tent - with Kim and her roomie's BF's help
It was damn hot at game time. They did allow people to take full bottles of water in. It was nice to see our usual seat neighbors - Pam and Randy from Carroll and Andrea and her husband, the enthusiastic guy from Ankeny. Even the lady behind us that Diana chewed out a couple years ago seemed happy to see us! Kim got to hear that lady yell "Run forward" throughout the game, as we have the past few years. So enlightening! Stofferahns sit by us too, but we sure missed Higgins who didn't renew their tickets this year. The place was packed though.



The air seemed to go out of the crowd quickly - between the play of the team and the heat. The Cyclones couldn't get much going on offense and the D could not stop the UNI Panthers. At halftime we were behind, and the UNI band played. They sounded great! The normally excellent ISU band tried to do a medley using the giant video screen between songs - but it didn't work for me. Every time I started enjoying a song, they'd stop playing it. It was like they tried too hard. Maybe that was what was wrong with the football team too - they were trying too hard to tackle so they missed! Right...

Paul texted me a couple times during the game. I tried texting him game updates, but I'm not sure they got through. He's lucky he was spared from seeing this though. Jud too - who is with gf Kara in Nashville this weekend doing the tourist thing. Good choices for my guys. I'm glad they're finding other outlets besides football. What's wrong with me?

By the end of the game, I was a tired, melted, disgusted fan. I just wanted to get home and shower the day off of me. Jeff had a great quote. "I think I'm going to need an improved tailgating experience to get through another game like that." That is fo sho!

No comments: