Sunday, July 21, 2013

One year ago...

What a difference twelve months can make. In church yesterday I was pondering again. (Yes, my mind wanders as the Homily drags on.) A year ago we were just getting home from our great family reunion trip to Cannon Beach, Oregon. This year...
S'mores...Cannon Beach 2012

  • Bolder wasn't yet aware he was still ill with evil cancer
  • In mid July I had my manipulation surgery to release scar tissue in my right shoulder after months of pain and immobility. That was followed by weeks of physical therapy and more pain. I was able to put my arm over my head for the first time in months, and broke through the pain after several week of PT.
  • Paul had submitted his application for a permanent job in GULP Des Moines at the NRCS state office, and received notice that he got the job a few weeks later. It was one of those - "we hope it happens, "Oh shit" kinda things.
  • We celebrated our 30th anniversary
He's got the jacket on here

Big stuff. All of these events have had huge implications. Except our anniversary, which was more like life as usual. With each passing year, and especially after this last one I realize how lucky and blessed I am.

Of course losing Boldie - in such a short time after the docs told him the cancer was back was the biggest baddest thing. It's all really still so surreal.

The shoulder thing made me realize I'm not getting any younger. Though I still can't seem to get in any kind of work out routine or rhythm. I know I need to do it, but I can't find my way there. I walk and ride my bike but it's all sporadic. I need a trainer and a plan. I can't seem to get motivated to workout after 10 hour work days. I'll figure it out eventually. I may have to bribe a certain workout fanatic from Creston to move to DMS.

If you read this blog then you know how much the move has affected our lives! Mostly for the good. We sure miss our homies - our Creston friends. And we still consider ourselves Crestonites - pretending to be city folk. I suppose over time that will change. I have lots of people who have lived here a long time say - "you do lots of things I never do". We just take advantage of it, because it's all new to us! We're like kids in the candy shop.

We like city life - and the opportunities the Des Moines area offers. It's convenient to live near an airport. Amy flies in tomorrow after her 6 week trip to South and Central America. We can go to any movie showing on any night. Restaurant options are limitless. We live on a bike trail and many more are minutes away. There are lots of concerts and live music opportunities and we're seeing Jersey Boys Wednesday night. The short drive home is sweet - especially late at night. Another bonus is being able to volunteer! I love hanging out with my Little Sis match, Chiya. She's been a blessing in my life.
I got to introduce Chiya to Amy

We have found that in Des Moines, we get to see friends from afar and family more often. We were able to host Easter this year with the Goldsmiths. Paul's sis Carol calls when she's in town visiting daughter Barb. Cindo and Bonnie came for a fun visit in June. Robbie Dob called when she came through town and Jane Ertl messages when she's in the area. Bobbie and Jeff stayed a night and we biked in our neighborhood, which was lots of fun. Mary Faber stayed last night! Kay and Alyssa Wilt called as they were heading through town. I need to do better about seeing local friends like Joan, Mary and Jane. It's nice living close to I-80. We got new beds ya'll - the welcome mat is out!

My shoulder gives me little reminders that not all of the scar tissue is gone. Early this year I even had to visit a chiropractor for some treatment. It's motivational, really. I'm not going to frozen land again!

I think of Bolder often. I picture him in his yellow jacket tucked into his plaid shorts like a homeless guy. He is with us going forward - especially in his son Colby (and his near-son Byron Pottorff). Our children too have absorbed their uncle Bolder. Legendary.

Change, though scary, can be good for us if we take advantage of opportunities. That's what we're trying to do by "living la vida loca". (well it's been crazy for us)

No comments: