Saturday, July 13, 2013

Et me Brutae...and other stuff


Have you ever noticed "not that nice" behaviors in others that you recognize in yourself? I had that occasion this week while traveling with a group. We stopped at a rest area and one party member expressed displeasure with our parking spot. It wasn't close enough to the door - though it was only a couple spots from the absolute closest spot we could have gotten.

I wasn't driving, but I felt bad for the guy at the wheel. He took it like a husband used to such criticism. Like my husband. I myself have been a parking Nazi - critical of where Paul chooses to park, especially in winter. From the outside looking in, the behavior didn't look good. I vow to try for better behavior when it comes to parking. And other similar things like driving. It got my attention.

Other Stuff
You may have read Amy's recent blog. Amy's Blog
She comes home in about a week. Yippy! That kid is doing some cool things. She had a run in with a bad ass taxi driver a couple days ago. He tried to extort her for $90 for a 15 minute taxi ride. The accident and that taxi have been the only two things she's let us know about that have freaked her out. Can't wait to hear...the REST of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.

Last night we attended Morgan Conn's Des Moines Christian High School softball game. Morgan is my ISU roommate Jane's daughter. Jane and her son Jacob, and Jane's sister Susan were there at the game. It was fun to see them all. Jane told us that DM Christian wasn't going to be able to field a team this summer because not enough girls were going to go out for the sport. It takes a lot of time! So Morgan talked a couple friends into joining her and she put in the time to go out for softball - after she graduated from high school! She hadn't played the sport since 7th grade. What a kid!
I'm sorry this lousy pic doesn't show Morgan who I think is behind #42

Morgan will attend ISU next year - she received a great scholarship in the food/nutrition department - 4 years of tuition! Way to go kiddo! They won the game and will play again on Monday night in Boone. Jane has done a great job raising her kids and can be very proud. I look forward to seeing Jane and Morgan at ISU football games this fall.
On the ride in

Strudel ahead!
Strudel!
This morning Paul and I loaded up the bikes on the rack on his car and drove to Gray's Lake in downtown. Then we rode a couple miles to the Farmer's Market - wearing our backpacks for stuff we knew we'd purchase. They have a bike valet service at the market that is free. I remembered to take my own coffee cup today so I didn't have to do Styrofoam! The market wasn't as crowded today - I'm not sure why. There was a DM Public Works thing going on at the Court Avenue Bridge too.

We scored some Iowa sweetcorn, got a couple baby gifts - our young friends keep popping out those babies recently! Congrats to Christine and Ryan (Christine was a consultant who worked with me when I ran the landfill and we still see each other lots through work) who are parents of Ethan born July 3rd and Karla and Andrew - (Karla worked for Paul in Creston) who had a little girl, Payton, to join big sis Lilly, two days ago.
Paul pointed out this t-shirt..didn't buy, but liked it!

We talked to the DM Public works people about bike trails and got free trail maps and a long sleeve t-shirt left over from a ride a couple years ago. I can't ever resist checking out the pony rides. Those were so thrilling when I was little.
Takes me back to my Bar-L Ranch days...

As we rode back to Gray's Lake  (we went the other way back, riding east) we saw the Color Run taking place. My friend Mona Jones' daughter Dru was running with friends. I would have liked to meet her, but figured meeting an old friend of her mom's was probably low on her list of things to do in DSM. Yeah, I can still remember what it was like to be 18!
This is a 5K for charity where participants get sprayed with colorant along the route.
 
I loved riding bikes around Gray's Lake on the trail! There were a lot of people walking, running and riding. It makes me feel so alive and happy to live in a place with active people and things to do. We need to continue investigating the trail system! I'd like to kayak at Gray's Lake sometime too. So many activities, so little time.

Odie update. Odie has weakness in her hind legs with no pain. She is on pain medication, but the vet and I are concerned that she has bad spinal stuff going on. It could progress or not. She's always been such a leaper - which is very bad for dogs like her. We need to baby her back from now on. Send good thoughts her way!


No comments: