Tuesday, July 2, 2013

We were supposed to be paddling...

My friend Deb and I set a date for a NE Iowa, SE MN kayaking trip several month ago. We decided to go in June in case it was dry again like last year...we wanted to go while the rivers still had water in them. HA! Mother Nature sure fooled us. Again. She rules.

Yet Deb and I could have fun in a paper bag. So we decided to go anyway - take that Mom N! So we loaded up the bikes last Thursday night (she worked late in Creston that day and drove up after) and headed out Friday morning after a walk near our house and breakfast at the Waveland. I know - I've become a regular there!

We were so into our initial catch up chat that I missed the turn...we ended up weaving our way through Minnesota and Iowa on our way to Lanesboro, MN, our weekend spot - arriving about 3 p.m. Then we checked into our bed and breakfast - the Stone Mill Inn, Lanesboro. The Mill Room - which is the only room in the room with the checkout area. We hauled our stuff in, put our bikes in the barn and went to the work of shopping.
I got this coaster for Pablo

Lanesboro is a small picturesque town built along the Root River. There are some cute little shops and some nice places to get a beverage there too. And we did! One gift store tickles my fancy.
And I don't know why I bother working for the Department of Natural Resources anymore as I now have a new talent...I tell fortunes...I got this so I can predict the shit out of my high school friends' lives when we get together in October.
Lanesboro is one of the few remaining towns with one of these.
Deb is pretending to be Superwoman - changing clothes...
Our B&B had a wine and cheese reception. It was that sweet local wine, but I suffered and drank zinfandel anyway and we chatted with other patrons. We rested after and changed for supper. I was delighted to find out there was a GASP martini bar in town. This was a new development since the last time I was here. We walked the 2 blocks to the restaurant and found a little corner table for a couple martinis and supper. The food was nothing special, but the martinis were good.

Deb pretends to own the place
During the night, it started raining. A lot. It didn't stop by morning - so biking was out. We were disappointed to find out the breakfast part of the deal was only continental. What? I was looking forward to something yummy and hot. We had the whole check in desk to ourselves that morning early...when the clerks are away...
Cheers!
 Deb and I headed south (after going north due to a detour) to Harmony to the huge antique mall. One of the many Amish families in the area was sitting outside the store selling their wares in the rain. I told Deb they looked like they needed blast jackets. Remember that term? Mom used to call our jackets that...anyway the bonnets they were wearing weren't cutting it...we wondered where this guy had disappeared to. He stiffer than ever and in not living in Harmony.
Love me tender!
We at lunch in Preston, then headed back to Lanesboro. After cleaning up - that shopping is dirty stuff - I picked up some items we had scoped out earlier. One of the coolest things happened when we went into a store that re-purposes things and I saw this:
 What - you don't know what it is? The shopkeepers were amazed that I did, when I said, "Hey, it's a Dey-timer!" This one is bigger than ours, but the one Mom spied in the basement of Bullock's store and had refurbished looks nicer and has a top. The piece, that was an old clock used by workers to punch in and out sits by my chair.
Saw this sign at the recycling store

That night, after a couple more martinis, Deb and I joined a group at the art store reception for an artist who received a grant. We got there just in time for her speech - and for wine, chips and salsa! The locals may have wondered who we were...
That night, I had a fabulous meal of Red Snapper.
Sunday broke with no wet stuff falling from the sky. A minor miracle! We broke out the bikes and rode the trail until we ran into some mud. Then we made a circuit around town - including a huge long hill. Then we headed home, stopping in Osage for a winner winner chicken dinner.
You can see where the flooding has been around the parking lot

I loved having time with my good friend Deb. We never ran out of things to talk about. Saturday night we broke out our fave book "If" by Evelyn McFarlane - and discussed questions like "Who do you most want to be like?" and "What Pro Team would you like to coach?"

Can't wait for our next trip!

No comments: