Monday, July 1, 2013

Landslide

Lindsay Buckingham
The year was 1976 - the summer after high school graduation. Paula, Chris and I decided to go to Iowa Jam concert, because we loved music. I don't think they rode with us in Paula's brother Kirk's blue VW bug, but Jeff Weppler and Craig Both were there too. I took a bottle of Tequila Sunrise along for this all day event - but I found out I couldn't take it in the gate, so I spent some time trying to chug it...the weather? Very Iowa hot and humid.

I can't find a listing of who was there - but 2 bands I remember: Kansas and somebody I hadn't heard much from before - Fleetwood Mac.

Kansas of course was a fave of mine, thanks to the Scott Deardorff connection. I love their old stuff - more instrumental. "Bringing it Back from Mexico" and "Can I Tell You Something". That was the stuff they were playing that day. Yes! And one of the band dudes said, "It's hotter than pig fu#* out here." He was right!

We decided to head out before the last band played. It was Fleetwood Mac. They came on just as we were walking out of the gate - and started singing "When the Loving Starts". Even though we were leaving - that song stuck with me and I was an FM fan forever more.

Flash forward 37 years - I finally get to see the band for their full gig! My only sorrow is that Christine McVie doesn't travel with them anymore so I couldn't hear that song - plus all the others that she was lead on. But Stevie Nicks is really my fave - love that gypsy voice. When Paul and I heard the band was coming to town, we asked around to see who else might want to go - and our friends the Crittendens spoke up. Steve got us great tickets in the 38th row on the floor.

Barb is a Creston class of '76 grad
Steve and Barb got here at 5 p.m. that night and we took them to The Standard for a drink and a sandwich before the show. There was no warm up band - and FM was a little late, it seems their plane broke down. I loved the floor seats! It was great to be able to dance around a bit and good photo opportunities.

Buddies - Steve and Paul. They used to rule the bball court
The set was very cool
Mick Fleetwood


Stevie on the big screen
 
They sang Amy's favorite song "Gypsy" and mine - that she doesn't like their version of - "Landslide", plus "Sarah - you're the poet in my heart" the song that always reminds me of a drive to Breckenridge in Fred's Dad's giant car.

It was great to see Steve and Barb - we don't get together with them nearly often enough. Paul misses his pals, so visits from Jeff and Steve in one week have made him really happy. And each time we see a live show, I'm reminded how much events such as movies and concerts fill me with joy - especially when combined with visits from friends.  

No comments: