Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Amy in Equador awaiting Eddie

No not really. Yes, she now has her Ecuador sticker. She's in Vilcabamba. No, she isn't seeking asylum with Edward Snowden. She was having a bit of a problem with the malaria pills she was taking - they were giving her Montezuma's revenge if you know what I mean...but she started taking them with food, and that cleared up.

I took a long walk tonight when I got home from work. It's been too long since I was one with my iPod. I forgot how well I can think when do that. I have a dilemma. My Little Sis Chiya needs to learn to swim. I tried to sign her up for private lessons at the YMCA near where she lives - but they pretty much blew me off. I don't think they have enough teachers.
One of the yards at Diamond Brooke - our townhouse complex

I could teach her myself. It's been a while, since I strapped on the 'ol teaching swimsuit, but I'm sure it's like riding a bike. There's another wrinkle I discovered yesterday when I picked her up yesterday when I thought we were signing up for lessons at the Y. Her two girl cousins - who are close to her age and are living with her family this summer. They don't know how to swim either.

Chiya wasn't real wild about taking swimming lessons. She wants the good part - to be able to go to a pool and not be scared. She wasn't really isn't looking forward to the tough part though - the lessons. I told her we'd go to an Aquatic Center with slides and a Lazy River after she learns to swim. And that she could bring a friend. She asked if she could bring both her cousins. But they don't know how to swim. You see my dilemma.

The Big Sister program prohibits my spending the amount it would require for lessons for all three girls. I could teach all 3 myself though. Logistics is the issue now - when and where could I do the teaching? That's what I pondered during my walk.

If you know of a pool in the Des Moines area that I could use for this purpose - give me a holler or send me a note! It's important. Everyone needs to know how to swim. Pat Bullock would never forgive me if I didn't do something about this. I'll keep working at it - some area pools have family night on Sundays. I check that out to see how busy the pools are then.

I don't read much non-fiction, but the book I'm reading now is quite interesting - in a religious kinda way. It's "Astonished" by Beverly Donofrio. She's got a sense of humor - and she love, love, loves Jesus momma, Mary. The author wrote the book that eventually turned into the movie "Riding in cars with boys" which starred Drew Barrymore and she's written articles for Oprah Magazine and other publications. While living in a town in Mexico, she was raped by a serial rapist wielding a knife. Flailing for a way to recover from such a devastating even in her life - she searched for a monastery to join.

She said she had a hard time praying to and talking to Jesus, for some reason. She warms up to it though - at one point she enters the chapel and says "Jesus, sweetheart, hi, it's so good to see you darling, bunny love, pumpkin pie." I got a big kick out of that! I decided my prayers are way too sedate! The book is thoughtful and touching - with humor thrown in!

On Friday, my friend Deb and I are off on a big adventure! We were supposed to kayak in NE Iowa and SE Minnesota - but severe flooding as put the kibosh on that idea. So we are taking our bikes and will drink, walk, eat and bike. I can't wait! We're staying at a bed and breakfast in Lanesboro, MN.

2 comments:

Mary MG said...

Loved that book!
Concerning swim lessons, I found this online... "The Central Iowa Chapter of the American Red Cross provides swim lessons and water safety to children in the Des Moines area using the Learn to Swim Program. Based on seven levels of swimming achievement, the program provides swimming skills, water safety, and physical endurance in an aquatic environment.For more information contact the Red Cross at (515) 243-7681."

Anonymous said...

Leslie I can't swim either. I guess I should get on the ball too.