Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My baby has gone south...

After the wedding we had a visitor. No...not really. Amy can't be called a visitor, since she's our kid. But I didn't want to sit around blogging while she was at our house. After Amy left, Cindo and Bonnie arrived. So I'm a bit behind on my writing - and my Aunt Martha texted me to let me know!

Tonight, I'm in Spencer, Iowa - near Iowa's Great Lakes. If you're not from Iowa, you probably don't ever realize we have lakes that are great - natural glacial. I spent some time at the lakes (aka Okoboji) when I was a kid, at my relative's lake place - the Stewarts. Tomorrow - I won't be at the lake. I'll be at City Hall and the landfill. Not quite the same - still, I'll be digging it! Because I love my job.

My workmates - Scott, Jeff and Becky and I all went out to eat with my longtime friend Mary Faber tonight. She lives in Emmetsburg and works here in Spencer. It's always fun the see Mar - one of my fave people. Of course she won the hearts of the staties I was with!

Back to last week. Amy was hanging in WDM with us, preparing for her 5 week trip to South and Central America. She quit her job of 2 years, ready for a new challenge. The kid has been saving her cash, because she works to live - and to her livin' is travelin'! It makes her daddy and me nervous - hell yes. But we don't want her to stop being Amy. We so proud that she is brave enough to travel far and wide, and in this case - by herself for much of the trip. She is a smart traveler, and I tell myself - she could get hit by a bus in Denver, right?
With 2 of my fave peeps

On Monday, I had such a pleasant lunch when Amy and my longtime pal Robyn joined me in the East Village. She was back in Iowa from her home in Florida, visiting her Momma at Heritage House in Atlantic. I'm so pleased she takes time to see me! Such a bonus that Amy was available too! We had lunch at the Continental.

Do I look proud of my girls?

Chiya looks a little scared...we had the owner cook for us - he had a cute giggle!

I ask my Lil Sis Chiya to go out to eat with us at O'Hana's last Tuesday night. I wanted her to meet Amy, because I can't think of a better role model for her. Chiya's Grandma had her all dressed up for the occasion. While she likes Chinese food, I don't think the Japanese fare was her fave - especially when I explained to her that Amy was eating squid. She tried the shrimp appetizer, but Paul quickly got the rest. Amy was the recipient of most of her veggies. Chiya did like the virgin strawberry daiquiris, salad, rice, noodles and sesame chicken. For dessert - a chocolate shake. Amy liked it all - including her Templeton Rye Manhattan.

A couple nights Amy got together with her college pals Rachelle and Jenna. It makes my heart happy to hear those gals laugh so heartily. At one point they took photos downstairs under Paul's antlers - like they were coming out of their heads. Too funny.

All too soon, it was 4 a.m. Thursday - time to take Amy to the airport for her flight. She has texted, emailed and even blogged since she left - so that helps. Amy even met up with a friend of a friend Saturday night, in Cusco Peru, which was nice, because she sounded like she felt a bit down and lonely. The report so far - she loved Machu Picchu. She's in Lima tonight and tomorrow night - I know because she sent me the "where Amy rests her noggin" spreadsheet. I'm not sure I needed to know the names of the hostels she staying in though - like "Supertramp". Sound icky to me...

If you want to keep up on her blog: http://amygizzle.blogspot.com/

Time to get to bed - I have an audit to do tomorrow!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

Hahaha Supertramp was actually the nicest and cleanest hostel so far. The rest are grossing me out,I´ve realized that I´m too old to sleep in the same room as 12 other people and use icky bathrooms! Private rooms are in my future.