Sunday, June 23, 2013

Southern Visitors, Monsters U

Paul spoke to our fave farmer (Jeff McFee) this week and he surprised us by taking us up on our offer to come up for a night Friday! Bobbie and Jeff (yes he even brought his wife) arrived about 6 that night and we had a drink on the deck - they helped break in the new furniture - before walking over to Jordan Creek to get a bite to eat at Cheesecake Factory. It was such fun to have them come up. The two were our usual Friday night go-to companions, and we sure miss our get-togethers!

After we ate (I had my usual pear/bleu cheese flat bread - not too heavy) we walked south of the mall, along that little engineered pond. It's pretty along there - it was a pretty evening. We made it an early night because we knew we had a big day planned Saturday. It was such fun catching up on family and Creston news.

It was an early morning Saturday - why? Because
a. we're elderly and can't sleep late and
b. we are hard workers and are used to getting up early

So before 7 a.m. we were headed to our fave hole in the wall breakfast joint - you guessed it, the Waveland. Paul heard me talk about taking my sis Cindo there and he got a hankering for their hashbrowns. I had the 1/4 order of "everything" hashbrowns. So tasty with 1 egg.

Then we were on to the Farmer's Market. I know - it's getting to be a real habit with me! There were some righteous young musicians there that morning - guitar, bass and drums. I'm starting to know what vendors to expect - though each week a few are different. This week again we purchased asparagus, strawberries, and bread. I also decided on a couple knives forged in Waverly - cheese and paring, and some pasta that Cindo and Bonnie told me is delish. On the way back to the car, we walked along the Principal Riverwalk.

When we got back to our place, we headed out on our bikes. Somehow after riding east a ways, we ended up at Wellman's near West Glen - on their terrace, drinking bloody marys eating nachos. The waitress very nice - I gave her varicose vein information, she knew Tracy Purdum - ah Iowa, the smallest world. Next we rode west around the campuses of Wells Fargo and Aviva, ending up at Mavericks patio. It was just a short ride home after that, but we'd gone 10 miles.
It was time for B&J to go home. Jeff had cow to preg check and all that farmer stuff, ya know. Paul and I were heading to church at 4:30, so it was a full day - even if we did only watch TV (the movie The Proposal) that night. We were beat! So much fun hanging out with friends. Why couldn't Creston be 15 miles away instead of 70?

Today I had a date with my little buddy Chiya to see Monsters University. She loved the original movie Monsters Inc. and had mentioned when we saw the Oz movie that she'd like to see this sequel. I'd forgotten what it was like to go to kid movies - the previews are so different than the ones you see at big people movies. They still have little cartoons (you can hardly call them that...can you? because they're art!) before the movies - there were two at Monsters U. I loved them. One was about a snowman and an elk, the other about 2 umbrellas in a rain/wind storm. The animation is fabulous of course.

Chiya laughed out loud at the movie - something I don't hear her do a lot. I loved it! The lady next to me was howling. The movie was pretty cute - and the previews make me want to see the ones coming up. Good thing I have a kid to go with now!

I picked up a book for Chiya when we were out in Colorado recently. There is a great little bookstore near where Cindy lives. I figure with summer vaca, the kid has some time on her hands. When I was her age, I lost myself in books. As we drove back to her place and she looked over the book - Chiya told me she'd do a book report when she was done with it. Ha! Do I look like a school marm? I guess she's not used to just reading for enjoyment...I'll have to work on that with her. Any suggestions appreciated.

No comments: