Sunday, December 2, 2012

Special Day and our weekend

It would have been our son Patrick's 21st birthday today, December 2nd.
The people showed up after I took the pic

We attended mass at St. Francis of Assisi. It was my first time there - at least as a resident. It is a beautiful church, and was filled with people. I thought about my little guy during mass. What would he have been like. I put Patrick's picture up in my room on Friday. Of course he never grows older in the picture - he's always a perfect newborn.

I joked with Paul the other day that if Patrick was alive we probably would be heading to Iowa City tomorrow  to buy him a legal drink. I just have a feeling he would have been one of those kids who didn't want to do what the rest of the family did. So he would have been a Hawkeye...and that would have been just fine! Let's hope he's someplace hanging with his Uncle Bolder - but not drinking Boldie's signature drinks...straight vodka with a Bud chaser...

The rest of today we continued to make progress putting things in their proper places. Paul even put up some Christmas decorations. He asked if I wanted to put up some Christmas decorations. Nope! Can't deal with them yet...but we do have lights outside thanks to him. Tomorrow night, we meet some of the neighbors at the Diamond Brooke Holiday Party - our condo neighbors. Wish us luck!

Other stuff
We're getting settled into to our new home. Friday I only worked a couple hours, and then took Odie in to get her nails trimmed and her anal glands expressed. I selected a vet clinic near where we live on Ashworth Road. The owner is an ISU guy, and the place looks more like a little house than a business. I liked that. The people seemed very nice when I checked in.

Odie didn't wish to stay there as I filled out the paperwork. She saw the other doggies, and she knew no good could come from her being there. She was right - she doesn't like what they do to her. The vet we saw was a nice young woman. The fee was more than it is in Creston. I guess that's to be expected. It IS the big city. At Creston Vet Clinic, the technician usually took care of Odie's needs. Odie felt much better when we got all done, and could swing by Goodwill and drop off yet another box of "stuff".

I worked on our bedroom the rest of the day. It had been a hodge podge of boxes and we hadn't put anything on the walls. I'm sorry to report that without Paul's help, I had to put extra holes in the walls. My arms just aren't long enough to survey my own work before a hammerin'. I cleaned that afternoon. When Pablo showed up after 5 p.m. he was flat. Literally - his car had one. So off he went to Firestone on Mills Civic Parkway. That night we ate at Legends on Ashworth - Odie and I had scoped that place out on our way to the Vet.

Saturday Paul and I did some errands - more car running. And then off to Ames for our first ISU game of the season. This year our season tickets are still the cheap seats, but are a bit better than last year. We sat behind some older folks who hardly made a peep. Can't wait to see if they are regulars...The Cyclones looked pretty good. Not great. Freddie is lookin' good. He's the coach - my college advisor Eric Hoiberg's son. He's doing a great job.

Next, we headed to DSM to our favorite watering hole - The Standard, where we each drank a martini. It was our first time there in many months. They were good. Then we ate some mints and headed to the Creston Panther high school boys basketball game at Wells Fargo Arena. Three of our former neighbors were playing against Adel-DeSoto-Minburn. The Panthers looked very good and kicked butt!
Luke Neitzel 31, Colby Taylor 23 and Alex Neilsen (in white on right) - have watched them grow up!

It was nice to see familiar faces. We talked to Joni Taylor before the game and after the game we chatted with Todd and Beth Nielsen. After the game we ran into Devin Leith and her boyfriend at Granite City in West Des Moines, and then Marion James said hello as we were called for our meal. It was a Creston evening! You can leave the town, but the town doesn't leave you...



No comments: