Friday, December 14, 2012

First Love

I saw this McCauley fam photo on Facebook yesterday and it took me down memory lane. I see Mike and his parents and two sisters in the pic. Man, that must be Kathy's daughter - she looks like her! Mike says the Korean bros weren't there.
McCauley Clan
The McCauley Family. I spent a lot of time with this clan when I was a teen. The parents are Dick - who was a classmate of my Aunt Marty. The mom is Pat, who taught music at Washington Elementary during some of my years there. Paula Bacon remembers Pat sending the two of us the the principal's office! Evidently we were talking (and smirking) during music class. I believe I've blocked that black day out of my memory bank...I've forgiven Pat though, because she played the violin at our wedding. It was beautiful!

Their son Mike was my high school boyfriend - really my only other long term boyfriend besides my current squeeze. Mike is the oldest of the group, followed by Dorothy and then Kathy who I think is Betsy's age. Dick and Pat adopted two sons from Korea - Joe, who was a baby when they got him, and Bok who was 10 when adopted, I believe.

I loved hanging out at their house. Dick and Pat liked motorcycles and snowmobiles - so Mike had access to each. He even had his own dirt bike, a Honda 175cc. His mom had a Honda 200 that I learned to ride, and I even got my cycle license! One winter I went to Okoboji with them for a snowmobile trip. It was such fun riding the snowmobile on the lake so fast, without worrying about trees. My grandpa saw me riding on the back of Mike's motorcycle on Highway 6 in Atlantic without a helmet, and he tattled to my parents, and I got in trouble!

Mike liked to hunt pheasants, and a couple times I walked along - good preparation for me to be married to Paul someday. Oh not that I walk along with Paul. It's just that I can kinda picture what he's doing. I guess 17 year old love is different than 55 year old love, huh? I tried to get my buddies to "like" Mike's buddies too - Diane and Chuck Templeman, and Mona and Tommy Chlorophyll (his real name is Green - Mike's next door neighbor). Just kidding Mona - he was too cool for you....

Mike is such a nice guy - he could get along with everyone in our class - from the jocks to the hoods. By our senior year we had broken up but were still good friends. He went to Iowa Western in Council Bluffs after High School, and I went to ISU of course. We continued to stay in contact though. Mike was handy with tools, and in college I had him in stall my new cassette player in my new 1977 Chevy Monza. A bitchin sound machine! I only blew the speakers twice. 

Mike met a Harlan girl named Lori and I attended his wedding. I believe they have three sons. Mike and Lori lived in Atlantic for many years after college and he managed a couple different businesses. A few years ago they moved to Michigan where I lost track of him, until I tracked him down on Facebook - I know I love it and I hate it, but it can be useful! I'd love to get together with Lori and Mike again someday to get caught up. I'll always have a place in my heart for the McCauleys!

1 comment:

Roger Underwood said...

I loved the writtings of a small town Washington Grade school girl, or what ever you call it Leslie. I just loved it. I too like the McCauley family. Sound citizens and great folks. I used to walk to school with Mike to Jackson school of course. I would cut across Dr. Juel's yard and behind Hoovers house and come out at the McCauley house. There, Chuck Templeman, Biff Bonneson and I--and sometime Bill Ayers --and we would walk to school down Cedar?

Thanks for writting the story Leslie.....