Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Calling it a Career

Brian and Garth Frable

Our Bureau Chief, Brian Tormey, is retiring at the end of the year. I'm going to miss that guy. Today we had his reception at the Wallace Building - with a baseball theme. Brian is a baseball and a hockey fan. And I didn't know, he is a huge Mets fan.
Check out the clever centerpieces - recycled from a high school graduation

Angie Clark, a technical staff person in our bureau, took charge of the party planning. Man, I want Angie to plan my next party. She rocks! I should have known...as that's how she handles all aspects of her job. Angie is very thorough and competent. She had a team working with her to put the party together - steamed hot dogs, just like at the ball park, with nachos, chips, and cracker jacks! Plus we had some marvelous cake from Costco.
Bill Ehm (it's pronounced aim) and Brian
Creston's own Division Administrator Bill Ehm presented Brian with a plaque commemorating his time with the State of Iowa. Before that he had put in time with the US Postal Service. So his retirement will be double dipping!

I forget how funny Brian is, but he had it going today. He brought a bag of stuff from his cubicle - Show and Tell. Here is one thing he brought.
 
Brian said the "Nun" chucks were a result of 12 years of Catholic education. Note the little nuns at the bottom left - ready to be launched by the apparatus. Too funny. It was nice to see some faces from the past at the reception. My first supervisor, Al Goldberg was there. I started my job at DNR 4 years ago today!
 
On a sad note, I found out yesterday that a woman from our bureau, who had been awaiting a heart for a transplant - got called to come to Iowa City Monday. Sadly, she was receiving some plasma prior during the procedure and her body reacted. She didn't make it. I was at work early yesterday, and overheard the Section Supervisor, Cal tell the news to a few who get to work early as I do. I felt so bad, even though I didn't really even know her. Everyone went from the high of being happy that Sandy's new heart was here, to the low of her death - all in 24 hours.
 
At his reception, Brian mentioned that last Friday Sandy had come into his office to congratulate him on his retirement. She had been back working, part time. She had an external pump to assist her heart. She was only 51, but had a heart attack a year ago, and then had more problems a few months later. She had been in the hospital in Iowa City many weeks,  and then recovered at home for a while before she returned to work while awaiting the call about the donor heart.
 
Brian said last week, Sandy mentioned that through it all, her faith sustained her. Brian felt good about that. It was a somber note during a happy occasion - his reception. But I was glad he brought it up. He's no stranger to grief. Just 4 years ago, right before I started my job, his wife passed away from breast cancer. So he was out of the office for several weeks when I first started work.
 
Brian's son stopped by for the party. And his bro, Ed works as the Bureau Chief for the attorneys at DNR - so he was there too. Nice that he got the support of family for this day.
 
It's hard to believe he won't be sitting in that cubicle next to Angie in a couple weeks. I'm going to miss him. Good luck big guy! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: