Monday, December 10, 2012

Not so lonely

Deb and Larry
 
It's good to have friends! Especially friends that make a point to stop and see you when they're in town. On Saturday, Paul and I attended evening Mass at 4:30 p.m. at St. Francis (Paul's niece calls it St. Lexus...but heck, we drive a Subaru...) There we ran into a couple from Creston, the Fremls, Tom and Karin - in town shopping. Then Paul spied Gary Hemann - former Creston physician across the church. West Des Moines is shrinking already.

After mass, we welcomed my bestie Deb and her husband Larry, in town for a day of Christmas shopping. And ready for a beer! We enjoyed showing them the new digs. Just that day I'd finished putting pictures on the wall. I also enjoyed setting my some of my grandmother's (I think the stuff came from both of them - Zora Stewart Bullock and Nellie Weber Morehead) beautiful cruets and other glassware on the built in shelves in my bedroom.

We so enjoyed catching up on family and Creston news with Larry and Deb. Conversation was constant! It was as if we couldn't get the words out fast enough. Oh how I've missed my friend! And Paul too misses friendly familiar faces in his daily life. Later we went to Jethros in Waukee for a meal together. Deb and I had Planter's Punch - yummy. Paul and Larry - beer. It was such fun to be with them, and I disliked saying goodbye.

Sunday we woke up to a bit of snow on the ground, much to Odie's displeasure. She would not go potty, even for her favorite - banana pieces. At least until the snow melted, later that morning. My lil buddy Krissy had given us tickets to the ISU Women's basketball game that day, so we headed to Ames for the 1 p.m. game against Fairfield. We were glad the Cyclones bounced back after their defeat by the Hawks a couple nights earlier, and best of all their All American  Chelsea Poppens was back on the court. She had suffered a concussion a couple weeks prior.
Bobbie and Jeff

That evening, I cooked up some soup, and it was simmering on the stove.  I cooked it up for today at work (Munchin' Mondays - we're taking turns bringing food). Before we got anything out for supper, Jeff McFee called Paul to see if we wanted to meet Bobbie and him at Granite City. McFees were on their way back from Ankeny - visiting Caleb and Krissy at their new home there. I forced myself back into jeans from my sweats and off we went - we aren't wasting chances to see buddies! Daughter Kimmy was with them, and we had a nice time hanging out and catching up. Paul misses farm (and other) talk with Jeff, that's for sure. And we've always had such fun together on Friday nights - we miss that here. It sounds like Kim can house and dog sit while we're in Memphis for the bowl game. Good deal!

The Chicken Tortilla Soup was a big hit a work today. I took blue corn tortilla chips along and some salsa from World Market. A couple other people brought food too. After work, Paul and I decided to stop briefly to pick up a few things at the store right off the freeway. Okay, Okay, I admit it...it was a WalMart. I like that I can get generic Allegra D there. On the way in, I ran into my old friend Jane Buck, who was in a great mood! Paul and I each received a big hug, which made my day, really. It was nice to see her so happy. Odie was happy to see us when we got home. Such a nice way to wind down the day.
Me with Jane last winter

My sis Cindy started back to work today. She says it was good to be back, though she is very tired. Thanks again to all who have kept your positive prayers and thoughts going out to/for her.

No comments: