Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Bolder has been gone three years

May 2011 In his beloved Cutter and Buck windbreaker from Dad

Sometimes it's an east coast accent that reminds me of him. Or a voice - yelling out (he was a loud guy mostly). Nobody quite has the mumble down though - he was a mumbler when he drank scotch.

When I see a homeless person looking for change, I always remember my favorite Bolder story. I know, it sounds kinda crass - but hey, it's Boldie.

We were in Portland, OR after a fabulous trip with our whole family in Cannon Beach. We decided to do a little shopping before finding a place to eat and an older woman with funny eyes leaning up against a building hit us up for change. We walked on by and headed into a West Elm store, but the guilt bug got to Amy and she went back and gave her a $5 bill.
Summer 2012 in Cannon Beach

Later that night while we enjoyed a beverage, Bolder had to give  Amy some Uncle-like crap. Cindo and he were quite close to her as she spent a winter living with them right after she graduated from college. He said he thought it was stupid to give homeless people money - like that lady. "Amy - she probably went home to her mansion with her lazy eye and her lazy susan" he said. We all busted out laughing. Only Boldie could come up with something like that.



He's been gone three years now. We're still mad at him for dying on us like that - leaving my sister Cindy alone when she should be enjoying life with a loving, lovable knucklehead partner like him. I'm so glad Jud's fiance Kara got to meet him. I wish Amy's bf Corey would have been able to. There is really nobody quite like him. Bolder and Cindy's son Colby is quite a character in his own right, though. Bolder in making? Hmm Still, hard to believe it's been three years since I've seen his smiling face and heard him tell me emotional things (he was very emo).

Man I miss him.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Leslie, I love how you've captured Bolder's personality by sharing memories of him. I am glad that our family was able to meet him too - he helped me when I had an abscessed tooth on vacation in Vail! Such a great guy.