Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Ain't no friends like longtime friends

I know, longtime no write. I've got no excuses. But here I am again, laptop at the ready. I can't stay away too long!

Last weekend our college pals came to visit for a football game- an activity that has bonded us through the years. Yep, crappy ISU football. (I'm thinking of the 90's) But this team had a surprise for us!
I finally bought a scarf - now this fashion will be over

I've known these peeps nearly forty years. Crazy thinking about it that way. I met Vicki my first week of college at ISU. I was sitting in my room trying to figure out how to survive week 1 as an introverted college coed when she popped into my room. Vicki wanted to know if I wanted to walk over to the ticket office at the football stadium (then nearly brand-spanking new) to purchase season tickets to attend Cyclone games. The team was pretty darn good in 1976.

We didn't really get to know Jane until later that fall. After meals we began to plan ping pong on our dorm floor. Vic and I would go up against Sal and Jane. Soon our friendship went beyond mere pong and Sal was rooming with Jane. We were fast friends sharing everything - all through four years of school. Sal couldn't come - she's recovering from surgery at her home in Portland. Sending good thought's to our pal Sally!

I met Vic's boyfriend Fred later that year. I'm not sure she knew he was "the one" our frosh year, but the rest of us always liked him. She did okay sticking with that boy.

When Vic, Sal, Jane and I returned for our sophomore year, we signed up for intramural football. Well, not Vicki. She's more of the sit on the sidelines and yell encouragement type. Our Resident Assistant lined us up with a couple coaches from another dorm floor. That is when we met Moose and Steve - they've been coaching me ever since!

Notice Paul hasn't been mentioned yet? It's true. Of all the people I was with all weekend, Paul was one of the later ones I met. Worth waiting for! Moose's real name is Steve - but even now, when he's 58, I can't make myself call him that - unless we're in some serious situation like in front of his parents or at his wedding - stuff like that. Paul actually met Moose's wife Kay early in college - so our group is a bit intermingled. Steve married another ISU grad, but Annie is younger so we didn't know her during our school years. They were tailgating with some other friends so we didn't get to see them for long, but we did enjoy talking to them.

It had been several years since the gang came to a game. Everyone arrived about the same time - around 2:30 pm Saturday for a 6 pm game. It was fairly nice out after a rainy morning. We got together at the usual spot - our friends Kari and Kevin's trailer. It's been a nifty rig all season - just a little trailer with a tent and generator. Tables, chair and other gear are neatly stored in there (thanks to Kevin's photo showing how it all fits - stapled right to the door - he's an engineer, he can't help himself). Don and Diana were there with lil sandwiches. Kari and I made soup. Beer was cold!

Hugging and catching up are priceless. These people are like family - we know each others' stuff. I wanted to bottle the moment. Tailgating again with our friends. I thought of all the times we'd done this in the past. As young adults, with young kids - tailgating very near where we were that day - parking was $5. Wilts brought their daughter Jaime and bf Mike both Minnesota grads. It was fun hanging out with Jaime all growed up. Jane's sister Susan and husband Denny came over to see everyone too - we've know that girl since she was in high school.
Who was Paul texting?

We all sat together in Section L - watching a classic Cyclone victory, a shutout over Texas. When the win became evident, Paul Goldsmith offered to buy season tickets for our friends because they are obviously good luck! (just kidding) we can't afford that...
We did share a few wineskin drinks, and a pint of Fireball - but they were mostly happy drinks instead of sorrowful, which was unusual for a Cyclone fan. WooHoo!

It was a late night for this old girl by the time we got back to our place, Odie greeted everyone and gave the nickel tour of our house. Jane came over the next day for brunch and we drove over to her new house in Waukee that morning. All too soon it was time for Behrs and Wilts to take off. I missed having the kids with us! Shout out to Kelli, Amy, Jud, Lauren and Alyssa. (we did see Jaime) Love you guys.
Jane, Vicki, me, Kay
Paul, Moose (Steve), Fred
 

No comments: