Saturday, October 24, 2015

Port-O-Potty Surprise

The Iowa State football team is less than stellar this year, disappointing fans fresh off another good basketball season. Cyclone fans are a loyal bunch sticking with teams through thick and thin. It's been mostly thin for football lately. Still, we do love to tailgate.

Last Saturday was a lovely day. Iowans have been blessed with great fall weather after a rainy summer. We arrived in Ames after noon for a 6 p.m. game with #3 Texas Christian University. The hits just keep on coming for our team. Couldn't we play Kansas again?

Our tailgating pals the Ereckes had set up the rig in the RV section the night before. Slick! Walking tacos were on the menu. McKims couldn't make the game - a little family thing. Don's folks were celebrating 60 years of marriage. Yep, I'd opt for that over a football game any day. Congrats to Margaret and Fred! Loved the photos of them dancing while at Don and Diana's lake place.
Margaret and Fred - great role models for us youngsters





Since Paul and I had arrived early, we had time to wander around a bit and visit on of our fave guys - Cy. He smiles season after season. Guess it's because he's set in bronze.

The tailgating rig was perched next to one of Kevin Erecke's workmate's group. They are a fun young group to watch and they seem to love sharing with us - yummy ribs that weekend. Our friends stopped by to see us. Always love hanging out with Dwight and Marilyn Conover who discovered Kevin's college friend occupies Dwight's old bank office near Marshalltown. Iowa Nice! A group of Paul's work friends stopped by and it was fun to chat with them too. Tailgating is just like a lil neighborhood. 

I especially enjoy spending time with my friend Kari who is having some health issues right now - she needs your healing thoughts and prayers ya'll. Kevin and Kari are great people and we sure have enjoyed getting to know them - via McKims and this tailgating community.

After a couple hours of tailgating and a couple beers, that time came - I needed to use the port-o-potty. Ugh. There was a group of three not far from our setup, so I headed that way. I don't know about you - but inside one of those things I tend to avoid looking anywhere. I remember thinking that I'd round up a wet wipe for my hands once I went back.

I opened up the door to...the ISU Varsity Marching Band! A group of about 12 wandering minstrels and a director were awaiting my exciting from the vile little box. I wish I had a photo of the look on my face when I spied them! They broke into the ISU Fight Song. I did what you'd expect. Took a selfie and sang along.

Despite the eventual outcome of the game (we hung with the Horned Frogs for a half but the dam broke and were our usual inept selves in the second half), I chuckled about the band the rest of the weekend. And basked in the joy of another wonderful tailgating experience. I can't wait for the next game when my college buddies visit! I hope Mother Nature provides another great day. If not...we'll have fun anyway - we are Cyclone Nation!

On Sunday my wonderful friend Deb came up for the Mary Chapin Carpenter concert at Hoyt Sherman Place in DSM. We went out to eat first - and were so busy catching up that we were nearly late to the show. Our friend Mary Faber introduced both of us to this wonderful singer back in the '90s and we've loved her ever since. She sang several of our faves like "This Old Shirt" -which took me back to my days as a young mother at our first home in Creston. Ahh, good memories.


No comments: