Friday, October 16, 2015

Give your battle cry

Rob and me in Oregon - August 2015
When I was a kid, the fabulous Atlantic Trojan cheerleaders (including my pal Robbie Dob) had a cheer that I loved.

It called for each high school class to stand and represent  - and it went like this:

"Freshmen, freshmen don't be shy, stand and give your battle cry" and the frosh would stand and yell
V I C T O R Y (spelling the word) that's the Freshman battle cry!
and on through the classes. Of course the seniors rocked it the best.
That cheer really brought out my school spirit.

Yoga brings out my spirit too.

At Yoga this week we were asked to thank our bodies - first our legs and then our arms and so on. We were reminded that even though it may not be perfect, this is the only body each of us is going to have.

As the spiritual music played and I moved through a series of yoga poses, I pondered this fact. My body is a warrior! That thought made me feel quite emotional. I held it together though - I was bending like a pretzel - no time for blubbering!

It's been through a lot, my body. In my early years not so much. I was fortunate enough to be a fairly healthy person. The event of childbirth did take a toll - growing and nurturing three precious bundles, especially when two are over nine pounds of wonderful. More recently, a few health issues have put some dents and dings on the chassis and under the hood. Still, these things are nothing like others have dealt with. I feel fortunate.

Yoga helps me be mindful of many things. I might not be super flexible, but that's okay. I'm working on it! I also hope to build strength and balance. I'm trying to do better at concentration - to keep my mind from wandering away from the task at hand.

Someday I'll get it - and this body and I will shout out a battle cry. (Is there one for nearly 58 year olds?)
Isn't life grand?

August - Rockaway Beach, Oregon

No comments: