Friday, November 20, 2015

Snot Gloves

As I headed into the REI Store today my nose dripped. I was tempted to wipe it with my nice soft gloves. Turning them into - snot gloves. That phrase always brings back memories of college.

Wind up the way back machine - I'm off!

College is about many things. I'm sure that online are very valuable and can lead to very rewarding careers. And commuting to and from college to get one's degree is perfectly acceptable and in many cases necessary.

Call me old fashioned - I think if one can attend college and live there, right on campus, that's the way to go. In my opinion the college experience and the lifestyle are essential aspects of higher education. They certainly were for me.

I grew up in a household of all girls. Though we had bodily functions at our house, let's just say my Mom kept a pretty tight lid on things. My god she had made up names (from her side of the fam?) for all of the "unmentionable" body parts. Skows, pudgy, tinkler and fanny. I think you can figure it out.

So it took going to college for me to actually get to know guys as close friends - in all their male grossness. The two fellas I got to know the best were Steve Hauser and Steve (Moose) Wilt. Those two taught me the term snot glove - a phrase that would have never been bantered about in the early upbringing days of the Bullock girls. Oh, our woolen mittens had lots of snot on them - we just didn't talk about it.

Of course not too long after I learned about snot gloves, while on a ski trip Paul Goldsmith showed me the not-so-delightful farmer's "nose-blow right onto the ground". OMG! (at that point I didn't know I'd marry the guy someday). My father sold lingerie and was never caught without a handkerchief! Paul's family farmed. Digging for a hankie with dirty, greasy hands wasn't an option.

Can one learn all of these delightful bodily fluid related things outside of a four year institution of higher learner. Hell yes! Lots of places. There were many other things about college life that were part of my education - sharing my life 24/7 with others gaining their degrees.

Just a short story with an opinion - helping explain the somewhat warped, sarcastic and goofy person I am today.



No comments: