Saturday, August 30, 2014

Burning Girls

I'm a tree hugger, oh yeah
No not really. My friends and I saw lots of people flying in to Reno, NV for the Burning Man Festival on Sunday. They were dressed in tutus and had head dresses with hair the color of rainbows.

The Burning Man organization holds a festival for 8 days around Labor Day every year. This group of people creates the infrastructure of Black Rock City, where participants dedicate themselves to the spirit of community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. That's the official line. From my own outside research - it looks like a great big partay in the desert - 70,000 people strong. All partially clothed (if at all) in crazy clothes.

Jules and me - breakfast in Reno
I was in Reno meeting my girlies. Paula Bacon, Atlantic home girl had so kindly invited me to vacation with her in Lake Tahoe. Our friend Julia Hoilien was able to join us as well. Woo Hoo - girl time. I love my husband dearly - but I do need an estrogen fix now and again! Especially in lovely California/Nevada.

Gambled away $7...
 
Jules and I arrived early in Reno on Sunday. We took a cab from the airport to downtown to get some eats. I was starved! Friendly people told us of a place we could walk to - trailed by our wheelie suitcases. Great place - and fun to catch up with Julia and hear about her fam over a huge mess of eggs and other good stuff. I decided Reno is Las Vegas' slutty uglier cousin. Not as flashy or rich - but nicer. We found our way to Harrah's - and lost a couple bucks before taking the FREE shuttle back to the airport to meet Paula.

Then we watched more Burners arrive before she did. They looked like kids before Christmas. Then the three amigos from Atlantic got together - and we were like kids before Christmas. At a beautiful lake in great weather. Woohoo! Seventy degrees and sunny, nice condo near the lake and good pals.

We walked, talked, biked, hiked, had a few drinks and shopped. We sat in the hot tub. Julia and Paula cooked so we didn't even need to go out for supper. #goodcooks.
a rest stop on the bike trail
  • We rented bikes in South Lake Tahoe. Julia got a lemon bike. Her chain fell off!
  • We parked the bikes and walked into a park that featured a meadow and a wetland.
  • We rode around 10 miles. Paula and Julia did so all in one gear!
  • On Tuesday we drove to Lake Tahoe's castle - Vikingsholm.
  • On the way there we enjoyed Inspiration Point's beautiful vistas.
  • The hike down to the house and beach wasn't bad - the way up...kinda brutal!
  • I loved the early "green" roof of the Vikingsholm.
  • My cousin Steve Legarra, who is a CA guy, now has a place in Tahoe. He gave us some tips on where to go in the area. We stopped at Sunnyside Resort for lunch - lovely lakeside view and good eats.
  • Our last morning we stopped in Carson City, NV for breakfast on our way to the airport - another fab local diner.
with my pal Paula at Inspiration Point

Green Roof

Emerald Bay
Sunnyside - no, not the public pool in Atlantic...


great menu - and sweet potato pancakes in Carson City!
It was a great time with great friends. #blessed



1 comment:

Steve said...

Looks like you had a great time and good weather at Tahoe - the hike up from Vikingsholm is brutal
Steve