Sunday, August 10, 2014

Step away from the cellie and the Fair

I'm glad cell phones weren't the norm when Amy and Juddy were little tykes. I'm afraid I would have been one of those distracted parents - not living in the moment with them.
who wouldn't pay attention to these cuties?


I fear I would have been reading the New York Times on a swing instead of chasing them around the little kids' play area at McKinley Park. My Facebook friends would have had to suffer through weekly pics of the cherubs - on the glider, sliding with Moki the Wonder Dog and crossing the dangerous swinging bridge. Smile!

The good news is that our children are safely raised. I was there for them when it counted (because I didn't get my first brick-sized cell phone until they were past middle school age). I watched every sports event, went to each doctor's appointment and parent/teacher conference and drove them safely to and fro without talking on a cell phone or using a Smart Phone. They had my mostly full attention (I did rock out to the radio in the car).

Today? My name is Leslie and I've got a Smart Phone thang. When I have spare moments I fill them with information gathering - Facebook, Twitter, NYT, WaPo (Washington Post), DM Register. I'm always on the prowl. I did take 40 days away from Facebook during Lent. It was a good exercise. I now need to go away to a deserted island with no reception for a full information blackout.

I like my FB photo shares. Am I overdoing it? Probably. Oh well - I currently have no plans to change my over-sharing ways. I try to keep it interesting - posting things I think others might like to see or do. Or I post fam stuff for our many relatives' benefit. I like to see your photos after all... If others don't like it they can unfriend me. I won't even know, so it won't lay awake nights wondering why you don't like me anymore...

That said, I know I should put the darn phone away more often. All that information will wait for me. Live in the moment Loose Leaf!(my dad called me that). Love taking those pics though...fun getting Paul to pose for selfies. He's very patient with me.

Fair Fun - Paul and I attended the Iowa State Fair on Friday, a bit later than we'd planned after we got to install a water heater...ours was leaking. At first we blamed Odie for a weak bladder. But she can't pee that much...

We saw lots of people we knew. Former neighbors Benoits, Bob Drustrup who used to work at DNR, our neighbor Vicki, Traci Haley with Betty Hartsook and Lori Vicker, Carol McFee Baudler and Bobbie and Jeff McFee and some others I can't think of. Just like home!
Paul points out all the Goldsmiths listed on the wall at the Iowa State University exhibit - alums living in Iowa. Me, him, Kenny, Mary and many nephews and cousins.
Tums were in order later after we shared: Philly cheesesteak, footlong corndog, breaded chicken on a stick with peppers and onions, funnel cake with chocolate. Plus beer.
We ran into Bobbie and Jeff with their nephew Trey and had a beer with them later. (Trey didn't get one)
The closest we got to the butter cow - Butter Legs
 
Better than butter cow...the bush cow
A girl from Afton received a blue ribbon on this art work she welded. Awesome! Recycling and a horse.
 


No comments: