Thursday, August 7, 2014

Agriculture and Society

That's the new name of my college Major - formerly known as Public Service and Administration in Agriculture (PSA) offered at Iowa State University. I know...it's a funny major for the daughter of a lingerie sales exec. But I had already tried out other majors like Pre-Veterinary Science (science and I didn't get along), animal science (while I was quite friendly with horses, I was no match with farm kids when it came to Durocs and Angus and bird's foot trefoil).
Sophomore year with roomie Vicki and her fam and mine - VEISHEA (which will never be held again - thanks idiot rioters)

I also dallied with Ag Journalism. On my one big story for journalism class I ran into some push back by the interviewee. It was something about leasing Hilton Colesium and I had called some University big wig who didn't speak nicely to me. I didn't like it. I wanted to work in a field where everyone was always nice. Haha.

I took a Sociology class and liked it. I enjoyed Political Science too. Then I heard about a major that combined these things - all in the College of Agriculture, a college I felt at home in - despite all those big belt buckle dudes. PSA had a fabulous advisor who seemed to actually care about his advisees. And a son who would one day be the Mayor and go on to play basketball and then coach the Cyclones - but was only about 4 years old at that time. The advisors name was Eric Hoiberg - great guy. We even had PSA Club at his house.

A T-Shirt from the PSA Club in the late 90's After Dean Hoiberg stopped advising
You know you're getting old when your major name changes. It doesn't matter though - graduates will continue to be fabulously well-rounded (the rest of the major includes economics and a minor - mine was business). They shall go forth and conquer.

No comments: