Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Summer memories

It's been a beautiful week. Almost a bit cool, which some are loving. As a former lifeguard I have to sympathize with those who have chosen to spend their summer babysit...I mean faithfully guarding the lives of those who partake in a refreshing dip the local pool.

Except this summer they haven't often needed to! I'd be willing to bet those lifeguards haven't gotten many hours in. The oldest three Bullock girls cashed a lot of lifeguard paychecks in our day. Susi worked at the Country Club and Lake Anita. Cindy was queen of the Country Club pool too. Charley Wickman called her Mrs. Lifeguard.

We had all grown up at that very pool. The story is that years before my grandfather, Wally Bullock was the first to jump in the pool after it was built. I heard both Dad and Aunt Marty tell that story...so it's likely true. Though I can't picture it. Bubba in trunks. (not in Florida).

As youngsters the Bullocks practically lived at the Country Club pool every summer. Mom would pack us up in the station wagon in our little swimming suits, each with a towel. Sunscreen hadn't been invented yet...but we might have had a bottle of Coppertone Suntan Lotion. That smell still takes me back to the land of hot concrete, happy screams and splashing noises. My freckled body can attest to the lack of sunscreen!

The club wasn't quite this old...and the pool wasn't built yet back then

Many of my little buddies were at the pool too and in between dips in the baby pool and big pool (Nibbles!), we'd make tents out of the wicker chairs. Tip two down and draping our towels over the top - walaa. A fort! The snack room was great too - when it was still inside the club. I recall Dick Westbrook working there, doling out frozen snickers and popsicles. There were even a couple tables. When I got older we played cards. Spoons! And watched the big console television in the den outside the snack room. Perched on soft leather couches we watched the goofy freaky soap opera Dark Shadows.

When I got older I would I head from fun swimming at the County Club to Swim Team practice (11 laps = 1 mile) at Sunnyside - the public pool. After all those years hanging out at that place must have sunk in. Because though I was a substitute lifeguard at "The Club", I worked at Sunnyside - with my pals. My lifeguard summer. Sal, the Merrick girls, Hjort, Todd and Ted. I also got to know some people I didn't know before. Cindy and Kim, Pat and Mike.

I hope we have some warmer weather before area swimming pools close. It's summer in Iowa ya'll!
Bike ride took us to Cheesecake Factory - S'mores. Yum!

No comments: